Thread: Suggested Sandbox and Export functions

Default Suggested Sandbox and Export functions

Two things I would like to see in NOF

First a Sandbox.
    Sandbox would simply be a page. which you could open save and close while working on a site. The sandbox would just be a page like field (with adjustable width and height) which the user could assemble items and elements which they might put into their website. Preview function would be present. but when the user goes to Publish, even if Entire Site is selected, the Sandbox page would be 100% ignored. The user could save/export the Sandbox and call it back up with any site they are working on. Again, it would show up like just another page in your site but like with a red border or something to distinguish it from the others.

Example. I want to put a few pages on my site which have reviews of different software. I create little groups with specific layouts for different types of software (picture, text links ect). I can create those layouts in the sandbox and then copy the ones I want to use into my site. This could also be used for form creations which I might want to use on many sites. while in those sites, I can call up the specific sandbox and copy/paste them in to the site I am currently working with.

Second, an Export function
    This would be an all inclusive export of a current project to a single folder. Not the same as a Local Publish, but rather a complete export of an entire NOF project.. in project form.. This folder/file would have ALL content from the project, to include style, asset and elements.

Example. If I start a site on my desktop, but then have to hit the road, I could Export the site to a folder (or a single compiled file would probably be better), transfer it to my laptop (usb) also running the same NOF version and open/extract it and keep going.

just some thoughts

1 - Create a page to use as your sandbox and in Site View, select Exclude From Navigation.
    2 - In Site View, select the pages you want to export and then select Export As Template | Selected Pages.

I don't see an Exclude from Navigation option.

thanks on 2 though!

Select a page in Site View (other than the Home page, where this option is not available) and then look in the Page Properties inspector on the right. You'll see a check box labeled Exclude From Navigation.

Default workspace in Site View does not have the Page Properties toolbar. had to first go to View>Property Inspector to activate the toolbar. then in that toolbar I could select Exclude from Navigation.

so.. Selecting Exclude from Navigation will Exclude the selected page(s) from Publishing regardless if I select Publish Entire Site?

No doubt you've tested the result yourself by now and discovered that Exclude From Navigation is not the same as Do Not Publish. Use the Exclude From Navigation option when you want to exclude from navigation. Use the Do Not Publish option (2nd tab in Page Inspector) when you do not want to publish.
    Last edited by LBA; 03-15-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Well I just tried the Export function. Site View, File>Export>Entire Site ..... AWESOME!! Thanks for pointing that out to me! I never would have seen it. I spend so little time in Site view unless I am just arranging the structure for menus.