Thread: Nav Bar Nuttiness

Default Nav Bar Nuttiness

I have a client site in NOF11, and continue to maintain in NOF11.

I have a primary navigation bar design and a secondary navigation bar design. The primary is used in the MasterBorder for the typical site navigation. The secondary is used within the content of several pages to navigate between them. They are custom nav bars manually inserted into each page in this group. (It is basically a series of photo galleries, and the secondary navigation selects between specific gallery pages.)

Primary is a horizontal design. Secondary is a vertical design.

It seems almost every time I publish this site, one or the other of these nav bars switches itself between Primary and Secondary buttons. So my main navigation suddenly comes up with secondary buttons, or one or more of my gallery pages (but not all) switches to primary buttons.

This is a major pain, as I have to check every page in the site, and toggle the button style back if it is wrong. Once I seem to have it in order, I publish, and one or more gets flipped on the published site.

Just today, I gingerly checked and toggled all the navigation to their proper states for the tenth time and did a local publish to check. All looked fine, so without doing anything else, immediately did a remote publish. And, of course, some of the menus has flipped again.

So I manually copied my ...images/autogen/ folder (some of the images had different names between local and remote publish) and the /html/ folder to the server from my local publish just to be done.

So I'm wondering what might be causing this. Is this another symptom of a corrupt MasterBorder?

Suggestions?
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    I have a client site in NOF11, and continue to maintain in NOF11.
    <snip>So I'm wondering what might be causing this. Is this another symptom of a corrupt MasterBorder?
    Suggestions?
    Just some suggestions, which may help you find what/where it goes wrong?

I have a large estate agents site in NOF11 which usually works perfectly. It also has a combination of standard and custom nav bars.
    The site consists of about 200 pages, some of which incorporate an iframe (for external photo galleries)
    I don't know whether there is a slight corruption in the .nod file or wherever, but:
    I can publish the full site, or I can publish any single page, without any problems. (Using NOF ftp)
    If I try to publish a selection including any pages which incorporate an iframe, NOF crashes.

On recovery, everything is ok except navigation menus which always go haywire, usually introducing all levels into the navigation, whereas only upper levels were selected.
    Also, the selected graphics get scrambled and I have to go back to the menu properties and reselect "Apply to all pages" to avoid mis-sized menu items.

FWIW, long ago I made backups of all my masterborders (4 involved in this site) as the occasional "Damaged objects have been deleted" would rear its head and remove everything in the MB.
    Just simply e.g. Standard1 > Standard1B so I could always fall back to an exact copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trimdoner View Post
    FWIW, long ago I made backups of all my masterborders (4 involved in this site) as the occasional "Damaged objects have been deleted" would rear its head and remove everything in the MB.
    Just simply e.g. Standard1 > Standard1B so I could always fall back to an exact copy.
    Interesting. Do you do this by simply creating duplicates of your MasterBorders in your project file? Create a MasterBorder, then duplicate it and just leave it unused in case (or when) the MB in use goes haywire?

For me, NOF is not crashing, it just randomly flips some nav bars from Primary to Secondary buttons. In one case, when I reset one, all the buttons changed back except the one for the parent (home) page. So I had one button as a Primary with all the rest as Secondary. Weird.

I'd really love some suggestions as to what to look at. I dislike randomly deleting and rebuilding parts of a site until I stumble upon who the culprit is. Such a waste of time...
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    Interesting. Do you do this by simply creating duplicates of your MasterBorders in your project file? Create a MasterBorder, then duplicate it and just leave it unused in case (or when) the MB in use goes haywire?..
    Yes, that's all I do The copied MB originally reverts to the default buttons but that is easily rectified with a couple of clicks and then it stays that way.

I've had no particular problems in other NOF sites with navigation apart from the odd occasion when a menu becomes so scrambled (probably by my own frequent alterations) that it's easier to delete and rebuild it. I remember that it did seem that once a menu got damaged no amount of rescue fiddling would make it work properly again.

I've experienced the same problem with NOF 13 but have not been able to identify the pattern yet.