Thread: NOF 11 continually crashing

Unhappy NOF 11 continually crashing

Hi All

I suspect there are threads about this on the forum, but frankly, I am so fed up with NOF 11 crashing that I really can't be bothered looking, and the support from NOF, as a customer of some 15 years, is frankly abominable.

I tried to get some sense out of NOF a couple of years ago, egged on by the continual and irritating reminders when opening the programme to pay and upgrade, while suffering a continually crashing programme. It was on Windows 7 at the time. It was suggested by the 'experts' that I emulate earlier Windows (which I informed them I had already done anyway) and that's the last I heard, so I didn't bother. I tried running it under XP SP 3, XP SP2, Vista, 2000 and NT emulations, but all to no avail.

When I upgraded to Windows 8, the same thing happened, although while 8 is faster, it just means NOF now crashes more efficiently. Again, all Window emulations tried.

NOF is ok provided I do not use some of the icons and features in the upper right panel or if I click anywhere near the inside top border of the programme. This means that if I attempt to either resize the programme window, or move it across my screen, or use some of the programme features located in the right hand boxes, it crashes.

It has crashed 4 time in the past two hours - and each time I restart (having lost all the changes made) I see the irritating splashscrreen upgrade suggestion (which I so wish I could get rid of - I do not want it when I cannot get satisfaction from a version twice earlier) for $79, rubbing in the fact NOF 11 keeps crashing.

Does anyone anywhere know how to do anything about this, or alternatively, can you suggest how I might migrate all my NOF websites to another piece of software where I might at least get a programme that is robust and works.

I cannot explain or put into words how really fed up I am, and with 600 LinkedIn, 580 Facebook and some 35,000 Twitter uses between the social media I run, I am tempted to take to the internet to vent my spleen.

Thank you for reading my rant thus far.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN. IT WOULD BE SO APPRECIATED

Ok, take a deep breath and understand that the vast majority of users don't experience this behaviour and therefore it is most likely due to something outside of Fusion (most likely windows).

First, are you running as administrator? I'm assuming that since you say you were on windows 7 when it first started happening you're now probably on windows 8 or 8.1 in which case you must install and run nof 11 as administrator.

Second, win 8.1 has caused all sorts of problems not only with v11 but also with 12 and 2013 and a lot of other programs. It's the reason I never upgrade windows until the version I'm on is no longer supported. I still have 8bit programs I run under a virtual machine.

Next, I assume you've uninstalled, cleaned the registry and reinstalled. If you haven't, or even if you have and have succumbed to the 'Run NoF' dialog at the end of installing, then go through the process again and don't accept 'Run Nof' when the installation is finished. Instead close out the installer and the right click on the program icon and choose 'Run as administrator.' This used to be a cure; don't know if it still is but I run v11 as 8, 10, 12 and 2013 without continual crashing (on win 7 home edition) and I followed this procedure always. May help, may not.

Last suggestion, check the tablet settings in windows. when 2013 first came out the windows tablet settings (enabled) were causing crashing in NoF even if it wasn't a tablet computer. An update took care of this problem but it cause a lot of angst with a lot of people until the cause was identified.

Other than that you probably need help from a windows expert (which I'm not; I hate the bloody thing) as I can almost guarantee it is a windows issue. (As an aside, a recent windows update stopped my Wacom Intuos 2 tablet from working. I ordered a new Intuos Pro figuring the old tablet drivers were no longer working in windows. Before the new tablet arrived there were some more updates and lo and behold the old tablet has started working again.

None of what I've said may be of any help at all, in which case I think you're just going to have to work your way through windows trying to identify what specifically is causing the problem. Frustrating, I know. But that seems to be modern computing (O for the good old 8 bit 8086 boxes of yore running DR-DOS and no microsloth ).

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Next, I assume you've uninstalled, cleaned the registry and reinstalled. If you haven't, or even if you have and have succumbed to the 'Run NoF' dialog at the end of installing, then go through the process again and don't accept 'Run Nof' when the installation is finished. Instead close out the installer and the right click on the program icon and choose 'Run as administrator.' This used to be a cure; don't know if it still is but I run v11 as 8, 10, 12 and 2013 without continual crashing (on win 7 home edition) and I followed this procedure always. May help, may not.

Last suggestion, check the tablet settings in windows. when 2013 first came out the windows tablet settings (enabled) were causing crashing in NoF even if it wasn't a tablet computer. An update took care of this problem but it cause a lot of angst with a lot of people until the cause was identified
    Thank you for the response. Yes, deep breath really needed. The ''bit" in bold above is the only thing I haven't tried. Aside from that, all the rest done, although as the identical problem started in Win 7, I haven't looked at the tablet settings for 8 seeing as you have identified,. my PC isn't a tablet.

Windows aside, NOF really should be working on the problem with as much gusto as they keep annoying me with their irritating "pay for" update messages which I really do not want on the front splash screen each time I open up the programme (prior to it crashing half an hour later that is).

All the best

Maybe using a 2 version old product with a new os might be the problem?

How does it do for you on windows XP (the OS it was designed to work with)?

There are kluges that make it work some what OK but not as well as the current version of the product.

If you want to use old software, not just this one but all old out of date software, you should have a dual boot machine that will get you into an old version of the operating system also.

Gee I wish my scanner worked with windows 8.....

When all else fails, use windows uninstall to remove the program, reboot, then install again and go through all updates of the older product one at a time, rebooting after each update.

you can find the updates on the NetO site: http://netobjects.com/html/downloads.html

since this version of Fusion is not compatible with versions of Windows beyond XP DO NOT start the software (run the program) until all updates are installed and you have set it to run as admin, then run it the first time as the admin.
    Last edited by gotFusion; 06-25-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I also find it crashing - very disturbing! especially when trying to set up db components which is not working either. AND IT CRASHES OFTEN.
    Please inform me as to how to set up a new thread. I do not find info as to how to start new thread
    I need to start a new thread to talk about db components. Since I am putting in hours and hours and not getting proper results I will in the mean time list some of my problems here!
    a - on a page (home) I have a form to display the records. it displays it correct. set up as per tutorial
    b - on another page I have addinfo - as per tutorial
    c - on addinfo I have a connector, below that if, below that 1 field of input {text field (firstname), next to the textfield formfield (name = firstname) },below that submit, below that if (else), below that as text "empty"), below that If (endif) and below that db component Insert
    HOWEVER, when I navigate from the home page to the addinfo page, without pressing submit, a new record is generated - as a record with no information in it!
    In the if i have a condition "recordset2.firstname is not equal to form.firstname and from.firstname is not empty"
    When pressing the "submit" without any data in the field the form gets submitted - never mind the "duplicate entry" part and if name is already in database it still submit now a duplicate entry.

OF INTEREST

WHEN I NAVIGATE TO "ADDINFO" FROM THE HOME SCREEN I SEE "EMPTY" AND THE INPUT AREA. AFTER I CLICK ON SUBMIT I SEE "FIRSTNAME"

AND EVERY TIME I NAVIGATE FROM "HOME" TO "ADDINFO" AND THEN CLICK ON "SUBMIT" 2 SETS OF DATA - ONE EMPTY THE OTHER WITH THE NAME INSERTED IN DATA FIELD!!

THE ABOVE CAN BE VIEWED AT http://forumwiki.comze.com/home.php

PLEASE LET ME HAVE A SCRIPT TO CHECK WHEN IT CRASHES TO REPORT BACK TO YOU!
    PLEASE HELP WITH "IF" THAT DOES NOT CHECK THE CONDITIONS
    PLEASE HELP WITH SEQUENCE OF IF CONDITIONS
    PLEASE HELP WITH ERROR IF FORM SUBMITTED WITHOUT DATA - "empty" THEN APPEARS NEXT TO INPUT FIELD
    PLEASE HELP WITH DUPLICATE SUBMISSION

I KNOW YOU ARE ALL BUSY - BUT I AM TRYING TO BUILD A COMPANY REGISTRATION SUBMISSION DOCUMENT AND I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP.

I TRIED TO BUILD A LOGIN FORM BUT ABANDONED IT SINCE IT DOES NOT CHECK FOR USERNAME AND PASSWORD - PERHAPS BECAUSE OF SAME REASONS AS ABOVE PROBLEMS.

NOTE - IN THE CONNECTOR I HAD CONDITIONS AS PER TUTORIAL BUT IT WAS OF NO CONSEQUENCE!!

Kind regards
    Charles

When I compiled the message originally there was an action in the submit button action field! (register.php)
    With that in and when I click on submit the register.php page opens.
    However nothing gets submitted to the database!
    When I take the action out - then obviously the register.php page does not open when submit is clicked - but the entry is inserted in the database!
    Last edited by charles135; 09-05-2014 at 08:35 AM. Reason: started a new thread

Quote Originally Posted by charles135 View Post

Please inform me as to how to set up a new thread. I do not find info as to how to start new thread
    I need to start a new thread to talk about db components.
    Up at the top of the page:

1) click on the Forum tab
    2) select the forum you want to start a new thread in
    3) press the Post New Thread button

NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz