Thread: NOF 2013 crashes while doing minortext editing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default NOF 2013 crashes while doing minortext editing

I am using the latest update of NOF 2013, and for months I have experienced extremely frequent crashes while editing text. A minor change, like cut or backspace, often causes the system to crash.This happens progressively more frequently from the time I started a text box. As a result, if I succeeded in making a small change without crashing, I have to exit NOF and come back for the next minor change. This is a serious efficiency impairment. Did someone encounter this problem and can someone propose a workaround better than mine (continuous flip between starting NOF, making a minor change, exiting NOF, coming back to NOF, etc.)?

I haven't encountered the problem (although I do seem to remember this happening with one of the early updates and I've a feeling it had something to do with the tablet settings in windows even if a tablet isn't being used.) However, one workaround to try would be to write all your copy into a text editor and then copy and paste in one block into your NoF text box. Make sure, of course, that you are using a plain text editor (I love TextPad from Textpad.com as it's a real programmers editor) but Notepad will do just as well. A word processor will just screw things up worse.

Thanks for your suggestion. What I did is different: 1- I used MS Word for the initial editing and pasted into a text box 2- Then, I did the repeated minor corrections with the NOF 2013 editor. It is the second step that runs into the problems, but maybe the first step brings in some lint which come back to bite me in the second step. I will change the initial editor and if that does not make a difference in step 2, I will do step 2 with an external editor too, although that is cumbersome.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by levendel View Post
    1- I used MS Word for the initial editing and pasted into a text box 2- Then
    ding ding ding ding.....

MS word will bring in rogue formatting when you paste directly from that software into any other software that text is pasted into (just the nature of the beast). This rouge formatting will then cause all kinds of issues with the second software (crashes, missing pages, anything can happen)

If you have done this regularly you will need to open every page in Fusion and remove the rogue coding from each page one at a time.

Here is a gotFusion tutorial on how this is done: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=220

Once you have gone through every page and removed the rogue formatting code you need to change your paste default settings in Fusion so that formatting is stripped from the paste process.

Again, another gotFusion tutorial on where and how this is done within Fusion: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4067
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thanks for your pointers. It makes things evident.
    As an aside, I used MS word because it was easier to write accented vowels, since I am using both English and French. That may also cause problems.
    Hence, I am going to optimize my process to avoid these "black holes".

At the risk of labouring the point and because it is such an important point, and as a warning to anyone else who might be reading this, NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER cut and paste from ANY word processor directly into Fusion (or any other code generator) You can safely paste into a text editor if you are creating html by hand but otherwise always either clean it through a plain text editor or as Mike said set your Fusion paste default to plain text.

To write accented vowels use HTML special characters using the Ctrl-T method to put them into your text. It's the way I write words like 'cafe' (with an acute) in HTML.