Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I shall never quit NOF! ...

Hi Since V 4,
    Of course software has bugs. Bugs are an inherent part of software. Bugs in NOF are not the issue at hand. The issue at hand is the level of tolerance of a company for bugs. I do not need speeches about the nature of software, about the need to stay calm when the customers' productivity is affected, about the fact that this software is less bad than the competition, etc. I need customer support that responds promptly and to the point. It's that simple and I don't get that: the first reaction is denial and this is when I come to the forum. An there, I noticed an interesting pattern. Every time someone makes a criticism in a post, we are witnessing a small chorus who makes excuses instead of requiring quality. Or is it that the only important bugs are those found by the chorus?

Quote Originally Posted by TheeDragon View Post
    to the original poster
    AMEN -- DITTO
    been here since version 1 (maybe even before that)
    made my first web sites by hand (using notepad)
    refused to pay some one 50K !
    I am not a PRO - but do pretty well as a hobbiest and making about 50 sites for me and pals
    Thank you Dragon.
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Quote Originally Posted by levendel View Post
    Hi Since V 4,
    Of course software has bugs. Bugs are an inherent part of software. Bugs in NOF are not the issue at hand. The issue at hand is the level of tolerance of a company for bugs. I do not need speeches about the nature of software, about the need to stay calm when the customers' productivity is affected, about the fact that this software is less bad than the competition, etc. I need customer support that responds promptly and to the point. It's that simple and I don't get that: the first reaction is denial and this is when I come to the forum. An there, I noticed an interesting pattern. Every time someone makes a criticism in a post, we are witnessing a small chorus who makes excuses instead of requiring quality. Or is it that the only important bugs are those found by the chorus?

Hello levendel,

1). I know you have been frustrated because it showed. I intervened hoping to chase your frustration away.

I also passed through moments (and days) when I have been frustrated myself about not getting replies right away.
    Look at my thread http://forums.netobjects.com/showthr...nger-supported
    I could have chosen to be very rude and spit all my momentary venom in that thread, but I realised it's not the way to go about doing things.
    In many instances someone who is very polite gets no result or negative, unwelcome results. Imagine what one could get if he is impatient, ruthless and stupid from the start! ...

I realized that your frustration is momentary levendel and I feel inclined to believe that in three months from now you will laugh at the NOF / high resolution incident ...

2). Re the small chorus which makes excuses.

I am part of no chorus and I do not get paid to speak on behalf of NOF (never did and never will), nor am I crazy just to talk contrarily to everything people say just for the sake of being an interesting guy.
    I assure everybody here that I have better things to do than pick up dimes and cents.

3). Forums are for everybody to say what ails them the way they know best.
    Every forum has rules of conduct and above all, a non-written code of basic courtesy: it does not help to aggravate aggravated persons and aggravated situations.

I also have noticed different patterns, one of them is that those who have a lot to complain about have no track record of good news, good manners or any post of helping other forummers.
    To me, there should be a balance between good, useful posts and bad, useless posts from everyone of us using this forum.

I suggest we stick to the topic of this thread: "I shall never quit NOF! ..."
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Hi everyone!

New to the thread here having just purchased NOF 13. I understand the frustration levels since initially I wondered if I was about to be ignored due to an issue I was having with serial numbers that did not work. However, tech support did respond the next day and things do seem to be working for me.

I have been in the computer industry for over 35 years. For the past 15 years I have been in computer security. Yes, I am the one who fights hackers. Believe me when I say, I have dealt with really bad technical support over the years. And just the other day I discovered the absolute worst of the bunch!

I guess all we can do is to just plug along and stick with it. I believe that is also true for the software tools that we use. We can develop our craft, and also become SMEs the way I believe Mike (gotfusion.com) has done with NOF. If he had given up in the beginning we would not have the benefit of his expertise from his years of working with NOF.

There are times I wish we could go back to DOS.........nah.......not really!

Thanks for listening,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dmdcissp View Post
    Hi everyone!

New to the thread here having just purchased NOF 13. I understand the frustration levels since initially I wondered if I was about to be ignored due to an issue I was having with serial numbers that did not work. However, tech support did respond the next day and things do seem to be working for me.

I have been in the computer industry for over 35 years. For the past 15 years I have been in computer security. Yes, I am the one who fights hackers. Believe me when I say, I have dealt with really bad technical support over the years. And just the other day I discovered the absolute worst of the bunch!

I guess all we can do is to just plug along and stick with it. I believe that is also true for the software tools that we use. We can develop our craft, and also become SMEs the way I believe Mike (gotfusion.com) has done with NOF. If he had given up in the beginning we would not have the benefit of his expertise from his years of working with NOF.

There are times I wish we could go back to DOS.........nah.......not really!

Thanks for listening,

Dave
    Hello Dave,

Welcome to the NOF Club.

I am sure you will increase the number of nice guys with great posts here by one.
    You will have to decide if you are going to be a 'fusionist' or 'fusioner' (which by the way is the same ....)

Thanks John,

I appreciate the kind complement. I guess I am just too old to get really upset over things these days. I guess the next step is just to immerse myself in the NOF world!

Dave

The best advice I can give any newbie to NoF is to work through the documentation before starting in to build a site. The documentation (which used to be included as pdf files up until v11) is now online under the support section on the Netobjects web site. Work through the 'Creating your first web site' first (won't take long) which will give you a basic understanding of how everything works in Fusion, and then go through the User Guide (much more in depth) using the site you built in the first exercise to add the functionality you think you're going to want in your real sites.

Too many people here obviously haven't made the effort to do this by the simple questions they ask, the answers to which are easily found in the documentation. Learn the basics first and then ask questions for the stuff you can't find in the documentation - you'll find people much more ready to help if it's apparent you've made the effort to solve the problem first.

Disclaimer: I'm talking generally and don't mean any individual in particular

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    The best advice I can give any newbie to NoF is to work through the documentation before starting in to build a site. The documentation (which used to be included as pdf files up until v11) is now online under the support section on the Netobjects web site. Work through the 'Creating your first web site' first (won't take long) which will give you a basic understanding of how everything works in Fusion, and then go through the User Guide (much more in depth) using the site you built in the first exercise to add the functionality you think you're going to want in your real sites.

Too many people here obviously haven't made the effort to do this by the simple questions they ask, the answers to which are easily found in the documentation. Learn the basics first and then ask questions for the stuff you can't find in the documentation - you'll find people much more ready to help if it's apparent you've made the effort to solve the problem first.

Disclaimer: I'm talking generally and don't mean any individual in particular
    Hi Franko,

Your post can be summarized as follows: you will never quit NOF!

Not totally true. NoF is one of my tools. My arsenal includes Artisteer, Coffee Cup HTML Editor, Coffee Cup Responsive Layout Maker, Visual Light Box, Video Light Box, Photoshop, Resolve, Illustrator, InDesign, Likno web modal windows builder, Coffee Cup responsive menu builder, All Web Menus and a handful of utilities for things like visual tracerout, network speed, etc. There simply isn't, and never will be, a single program that does everything.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Not totally true. NoF is one of my tools. My arsenal includes Artisteer, Coffee Cup HTML Editor, Coffee Cup Responsive Layout Maker, Visual Light Box, Video Light Box, Photoshop, Resolve, Illustrator, InDesign, Likno web modal windows builder, Coffee Cup responsive menu builder, All Web Menus and a handful of utilities for things like visual tracerout, network speed, etc. There simply isn't, and never will be, a single program that does everything.
    I am impressed with your weaponry and ammunition but I know you will never quit NOF forever.

You will leave NOF aside and paint new web sites with your other brushes but after a while, you will still come back to NOF.
    NOF exerts a mysterious attraction on us, fusionists ...