Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I tried changing my site from HTML4 to HTML5 but the layout gets jumbled up

Exclamation I tried changing my site from HTML4 to HTML5 but the layout gets jumbled up

I just upgraded from Netjobjects 12 to 2013..... my old site I used was using HTML 4.01 with Tables... I tried switching to HTML5 since they speak so highly of it.. however when I preview the same site after switching it.. the parts of the webpage come misaligned or moved..... is there a trick to using HTML5? I also tried HTML5 Dynamic but it gets really messed up when I do that too... the site page I tried changing is www.thumpsound.com (the live version now is using HTML 4.01 with tables) since I didn't want to have a messed up site for the public to see....

please help me with any advice !

be sure you have applied update5

also, be sure to choose "HTML5 dynamic" and set character set to UDF8

Quote Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
    be sure you have applied update5

also, be sure to choose "HTML5 dynamic" and set character set to UDF8
    Yes I tried that.. it seems to affect my photos and buttons I created... they get all out of wack and not line up like they do in the netobjects program. once I publish or preview it, it gets all messed up. it only happens when I use HTML5.. when I use HTML4.1 with tables nothing changes.

yes I know, that is why you need to select "HTML5 dynamic" instead of HTML5

Quote Originally Posted by joemanifesto View Post
    Yes I tried that.. it seems to affect my photos and buttons I created... they get all out of wack and not line up like they do in the netobjects program. once I publish or preview it, it gets all messed up. it only happens when I use HTML5.. when I use HTML4.1 with tables nothing changes.
    Well, do not use HTML5 Dynamic if it gives problems.
    Use only the HTML which works.

I too go hypnotized by HTML5 Dynamic just because it's something new but I very quickly forgot about it.

Your web site is OK but have you tried to check the 'Center in browser' on page View?
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Another thought.
    Upgrading an old web site to NOF 2913 could be a bad choice.

I believe the old web site must be re-done completely new in NOF 2013. It will also be a great moment to change the contents a bit or a lot.
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Quote Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
    yes I know, that is why you need to select "HTML5 dynamic" instead of HTML5
    ya it still doesn't work even when using dynamic too....

How did you migrate the site? Did you export a template and then bring it into 2013 by File -> New Site from Template?

is there some screenshots that could demonstrate how it looks with html 4.01 vs html5?

remember, html5 is in its early stages in Nof and has many bugs that need workarounds, like try and place a forms multiline inside a table cell and see what happens when you preview or local publish, the multiline will hang out the bottom of the table

html 4.01 with tables is to html 5 dynamic as html 4.01 is to html 5. In other words, html 4.01 and html 5 use fixed positioning. This allows you to overlap objects but it can also cause problems with variable length content.

I would try this:
    1. Revert to html 4.01 with tables. Make sure everything is okay by doing a clean Local Publish and then export a template NOT including unused assets.
    2. Create a new site from the template. Now switch your site output to html 5 dynamic. Check your pages by doing a new clean Local Publish (forget about Preview; it doesn't give you a clear picture of how the site will publish, especially if you're pulling in external content).
    3. If this is okay, then rename your old site so you can keep it as a backup and then rename the new site to what the old site was. You should be good to go.

Note that you can always have a different output for a Layout or a Layout Region from the site output. ie you can have a layout region set to html 5 while the main site is set to html 5 dynamic.