Thread: What are these ...

Default What are these ...

... new features on Forms Multi-line Properties in NOF 2013?
    What do they do?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	form.png 
Views:	280 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	1810
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

A Placeholder is the grey text you see in a form field to help the visitor in filling out the field. It has no value of its own.

Autofocus brings the visitors cursor to that form field when they go to the page. Only one field should have this checked. Presumably the first field you want the visitor to fill out.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

and avoid place holders, they are annoying to the user, because users try and highlight the placeholder text in order to delete it prior to typing, instead of just typing

Quote Originally Posted by chuckj View Post
    A Placeholder is the grey text you see in a form field to help the visitor in filling out the field. It has no value of its own.

Autofocus brings the visitors cursor to that form field when they go to the page. Only one field should have this checked. Presumably the first field you want the visitor to fill out.
    Hi Chuck,
    Thank you.

1). If I type text in the 'Text' field, does it not do the same trick the 'Placeholder' tries now to do?

2). 'Autofocus' is indeed helpful.
    I'll keep your explanation in mind for next time I update my contact forms.

Quote Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
    and avoid place holders, they are annoying to the user, because users try and highlight the placeholder text in order to delete it prior to typing, instead of just typing
    Thank you Anton.

Placeholders are now at many 'contact' forms at many web sites.
    The good ones are those which makes the entire placeholders text disappear when the visitor clicks inside the field to start typing his details.
    Over the years I got the 'placeholder' effect by just typing my text inside the 'Text' field. Guess what? People used to write AFTER the words I have put in the field ...

OK, good to know.
    Thank you guys.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

how about sites where the password field if prefilled with like 6 dots (even though the form label clearly states that the field is for entering the password)

so you are left to think that the browser remembered your password from last time, and of course you end up with a login failure

Quote Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
    how about sites where the password field if prefilled with like 6 dots (even though the form label clearly states that the field is for entering the password)

so you are left to think that the browser remembered your password from last time, and of course you end up with a login failure
    Hello Anton,

Indeed, I even forgot about dot-pre-filled password fields.
    In the meantime I learnt about placeholders and field 'Autofocus'. Now I am mastering them.

If anybody wants to give me jobs to add placeholders and 'autofous' in their forms, please contact me ... (Just kidding! ... )