Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After working fine, Fusion 2013 seems lost and so do I

Default After working fine, Fusion 2013 seems lost and so do I

Hi,

I have upgraded to Fusion 2013 and have been working on an important project for the last few months. I was pleased with a number of the changes that have been made in the program. Good stuff. I have also been publishing updates along the way to the site I'm developing about a young dancer named Virginia Myers. Up to a few days ago all has been going well. Here is a link to the most recent version of the still incomplete site. http://ques.com/virginia%20dances/

The problem I am facing is probably of my own doing.

I got a notice from JAVA that I should be updating its program (which I didn't even know was part of my system.} I went to the Internet to check about JAVA and there were a number of bad reports about it allowing programmers to possibly invade my system and cause trouble. Based on that, I decided to uninstall the program (which I did).

Almost immediately I began to experience difficulties with fusion 2013.
    When I tried to open the site, I got this message:

WARNING: File Instability

NetObjects Fusion 2013 has detected an unstable file and will now recover your site. The time required for this process varies.

If you exit now, NetObjects Fushion 2013 will recover your file the next time you open the site.

After the exit I did get this message:

NetObjects Fusion 2013
    Recovery was successful!
    You might need to redo recent changes.

The program did seem to recover and I started editing the site again. But as soon as I tried to do a new publish of the site (which had been working fine before I uninstalled Java) NetObjects just shut down immediately with no message at all.

Nothing seemed to help. I decided to reinstall NetObjects Fusion 13 from the upgrade file that had been issued to me. (I also made sure to save my User sites before doing that.)
    Still the same problem. Also installed a new version of Java in case that might help.

Again problem still persisted and the program immediately quit whenever I tried to publish. Even updated my password to get onto the Internet in case that was causing the disconnect. No problem there.

Last thing I checked was the possibility that an unstable file was causing the trouble. Created a simple new one page site only contained one line of text and a very simple graphic. Program still said it detected an unstable file. There was no way I could have an unstable file with so little in it.

So I have no idea what has happened. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Barryd

make sure Java is installed and that Nof is using version 1.7
    http://www.videoproductions.com.au/Nof13/JREversion.png

Fusion components are written in Java. You MUST have the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed on your computer.

As Anton said... Reinstall Java. You may then need to reinstall Fusion.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Chuck,

Thank you for your helpful reply. I did try to then respond about a further complication. You may have gotten my follow up message but I fear it may have gotten lost because of my inexperience with this forum.
    Anyway - quickly I did install Java Runtime Environment (JRE). I also saw Anton's response and graphic. When NetObjects Fusion 2013 still wouldn't work I decide to try and reinstall the program as he suggested. My problem was I didn't know if I had to reinstall Fusion 8 first (which I probably could do), or if the upgraded and possibly damaged version of nof 2013 was the target that could handle that upgrade. In any case, I did get a serious of error messages in my attempt. I'm including a page of graphics showing the steps taken and the error messages that were posed. I have been around computers for better than 25 years, but I still lost in this situation. What is sad is the program was working so well for me until Java interrupted the party. I'll attach the graphic here. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Attempt to upgrade plus error messages.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	1817

Thanks again,
    Barry

you need to install the full version first, then apply the update

but your update is old, download update5

Thank you Anton,
    Question just for my clarification, when you say "full version first" I assume that means reinstalling the full version from my Fusion 8 cd since I only have the updated version of NetObjects Fusion 2013 that I purchased recently? (I will, of course, download update 5 as you suggest.) Do I need to clear out or save all the current NetObjects files I have generated that are currently in my system to avoid any conflicts with the new install and then the update? I assume I can leave the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in place while I do that. By the way, I don't know how your weather's been doing in Sydney, but our summer weather in New York City has been more pleasant than I can remember in years. I hope whatever season you are in is treating you well, not withstanding Global Warming. Cheers!

no, there is no need to install Nof8

simply uninstall the current version, this does not remove your user sites

then install the full installer of Nof13 (has to be around 200MB)

then before opening Nof, run the update5 installer (is only 26MB)

Anton,
    Just need a little clarification on the download procedure. After uninstalling NetObjects I was taken directly to NetObjects' Homepage. I went to Product Updates and Downloads. I immediately saw the download for Update #5 with the size you listed at 26 mb.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NetObjects download question.gif 
Views:	464 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	1818

But when I clicked on NetObjects Fusion 2013 to try and download, all I could find were the Buy Now or Upgrade buttons. Do I click on the Buy Now button to get the full installer of Nof13 (and I assume it is the one around 200MB) and I also assume I will be asked for my ownership. Would that be my Upgrade License Key?

Am I right here or am I missing something?

Thanks again for your help. It was much needed.

You're confusing upgrade with update. You have an upgrade version of 2013. You don't need to install v 8 first, just have the serial number ready to input when the 2013 installer asks for it. Download update #5 which is the latest and install it after you have installed the 2013 upgrade.

At least, I think that's what you're saying your problem is. If you don't have your 2013 upgrade installer file you can download it from my ftp site, ftp://ftp.unlimitedmarketing.net. You will, of course, need your upgrade serial number for it to operate.
    Last edited by franko; 08-09-2014 at 04:29 AM.

Default Still complications

Dear Franko,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your help. Things are a bit more difficult than they may appear. There seems no place in the NetObjects site from which to download an install of the upgrade of 2013 unless you pay for it. I have been installing all manner of programs (perhaps a 100 or more of them) over the last 25 years, first with Apple (starting with the original Apple ///) and now for at least 15 years with Windows. So I'm pretty good at hunting things down.

Fortunately you were kind enough to introduce me to your Unlimitedmarketing site. What an excellent resource it must have been for so many users of NetObjects. There I found I could access a full download for the upgrade version of 2013. Unfortunately it wasn't able to work in my circumstances.

(I'm going to insert a graphic here that may explain why. It will show a page with 5 different captures of messages that appeared as I struggled to get things working. They are numbered from 1 to 5. I'll add an explanation after I've inserted the graphic here that I put together.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Graphic for Franco.gif 
Views:	508 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	1819

1. This is the upgrade program from your site at 177 MB (Item 5 is the original download I got—only 23.4 MB—which I used to upgrade my own Nof8 application originally. And that upgrade worked perfect until I hit the Java problem.)
    2. This is the error message I received when I tried to install the full upgrade from your site.
    3. This is a typical sort of error message. I clicked OK to go ahead.
    4. This is the next error I got and I think points to the heart of the problem. I had followed the instruction and uninstalled the version of NetObjects Fusion 2013 that had stopped working properly because of the Java problem. Possible I may have moved other parts of the program to protect them so they would not be lost.

(By the way, I tried to use the 23 MB --marked #5—which had worked before, but it generated the same error message of not being able to find NetObjects Fusion 2013.)

Under the circumstances I think I will try using your installer for Fusion 8 (nof8.exe 102023 KB) which shouldn’t be looking for anything and probably will work. Then do upgrade #5 (NOF2013_Update5_en.exe 26890).

I suspect that may do the trick. I’ll, of course, let you know. Also I thought it might be helpful to do it all with your two resources. That way it should also confirm anybody should be able to do the same with the assets you provide. (I thought it better than my starting by using my master CD to install nof8.)

Thank you again. I didn’t mean to go ahead without a confirmation from you, but I don’t think it should cause any real damage to anything. Anyway we shall see.

All best wishes, Barry