Thread: Linux

Default Linux

If I switch from Windows to Linux hosting, will my sites created in NetObjects still work when I reload them? Thanks

Ken

HTML is a markup language that is interpreted by the browser after the http connection is made. It is not dependent on what Operating system a server is running.

Scripts, on the other hand, are dependent on the scripting language they're being processed with. So as long as the language is the same, eg PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, etc then the script will continue to work the same. Otherwise it would mean replacing the script call in the form html.

Thanks franko. Moving to Linux will solve my other issue that you responded to as well. Thanks

Ken

For what it's worth, all my production sites are still hosted on 14 year old Sun Sparcs running solaris OS. Older scripts are still using Perl while newer sites process scripts with PHP. No problems with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by T84a View Post
    If I switch from Windows to Linux hosting, will my sites created in NetObjects still work when I reload them? Thanks

Absolutely, your web site(s) will work well.

I used to make a living designing simple web sites (1997 - 2002) and I have web sites of my own since 2002 on.

I always hosted on Linux servers because of one simple logic: I always overheard the experts saying how UNIX is better than Microsoft servers and that UNIX never crashes.
    So why would I host my customers' web site or mine elsewhere than on UNIX?
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.