Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems publishing

How about? "I'm sorry I was such a jerk and blamed the program instead of my ignorance".

Hi, guys. Sorry I'm so late getting back. Organizational meeting for the civic club I'm in and had to work a county fair.

Here's what the problem was. The old webmaster for the site I took over used NOF 9. I use NOF 12. (Not sure if that has anything to do with my problem or not). When I ran into a problem, I would ask him about it and he would help. When I could not upload the site, he kept telling me to look for "public_html in the files on my computer (in documents) and transfer that file using IPSwitch FTP 12. Could not find it. Confused me since NOF uploads all necessary files automatically for me when I publish. I kept reading the instructions over and over, went playing around and finally got it to publish. Thanks for all the patience.

Both me and the site are going through growing pains. I may have some dumb questions but keep in mind I am not a computer guru.

As far as me and NOF getting along, still having problems. It still freezes. Only when building a webpage. But that is for a different thread. And some of that may be Microsoft updates. Maybe. Any way, thanks.

joe

public_html is the document root on an apache webserver (usually unix OS). It's not a windows folder therefore not on your computer. It's where you upload your index.html file to; where the other files go depend on your publish method. If 'flat' they all go in the public_html (root) folder. If according to assets type you'll see an html folder for the html pages and an assets folder for things like images, pdf documents, etc, and a scripts folder for, well, scripts. And if you publish by Site Structure then you'll have folders for each of the sections of the web site. But the index.html almost always goes in public_html on a unix/apache web server.

Thank you for that, Frank.

It was mass confusion when we were trying to publish. The old webmaster was here to help and kept saying files were not where they were supposed to be and the program was not showing some files. He said the document was on his computer. I created it during publishing. It is published so I am leaving it alone.

Sorry for the attitude. I know you guys are just trying to help but this freezing is driving me nuts. If I spend more than nine minutes on a page (by stopwatch) or preview my work three consecutive times in a session, it freezes. Now that it is up, I do not have to spend that kind of time on a page and the growing pains may not be as bad.

Thanks.

Ok, suggestions for things to check. You've already said you have the latest update. What OS are you running? How much RAM? If they're ok (ie win XP or 7 for v12; win 8 could pose problems) then check your AV. Try running Nof with AV off. Same with firewall; make sure it allows NoF full permissions to run and access the internet. NoF uses IE as an engine and v10 and v11 are known to cause issues. Rever to IE8 or 9 and see if that cures the problem. Check tablet settings in windows, even if you're not running with a tablet. Caused problems in early versions of 2013; may do so in v12. Finally, if it was running ok before, check and see if there have been any windows updates around the time it started freezing. If so, try reverting to before the issues started happening.

Sorry, but so often it's a detective game and there are so many things that can interfere with the correct running of a program, outside of the program itself.

I will check all you suggested. Might be a couple days before I can respond with results. Am running Win7. 64-bit OS. 8.0 GB ram. I run Avast as AV. CCleaner to clear history every time I log out of IE 11. It has been freezing from the day I installed it. Just hope NOF is not pulling a Google. Microsoft told me Windows and Google do not play well together. Thanks.

Of, course, let me clarify something on my Google statement. This part of Louisiana has the same problem with a tv news stations website. They say it is the advertising on the site. Makes more sense than does not play well with Microsoft. Long story. Lets not go there. Firewall was and is set for NOF. I'll get to the others later.