Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Site style Image and Masterborders ??

And, Mike, yes I have visited Ireland Well, Eire; haven't been to the North.

What is the purpose of having an option where the masterborder area can be made into a frame, so easily, in the masterborder properties box. There must be an advantage somewhere? Why would NOF make this action so easy if it is a bad choice?

From 2005 until 2012 it rained here, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, I know we had good weather the last two summers, but we know that it will be back to normal again soon. And since Guinness have taken over the cleaning of the beer pipes in the pubs, all the Guiness here tastes of bleach. Apart from those two points life isn't so bad here!

It's a hangover from the past. Who knows the reason it first entered the spces, but way, way back (I'm talking mid-nineties) someone decided that you could have a navigation bar permanently showing without having to code it on each individual page by displaying it in a frame. That's about the only real use I ever found for framesets and that's long been obsoleted by javascript and more recently by CSS3 and html 5.

As I said, it's no longer part of the html spec so should be dropped from NoF when the output is html 5 and 5 dynamic. IMHO, it should have been dropped a long time ago.

Thanks for the info Franco.
    Is there a way of setting a colour for the layout area by selecting it in a properties box? if you do it in the layout area properties box, it changes the colour outside the layout area also.
    Can I ask, where did you stay when you were here in Eire?

If you use a layout region you can set the background colour (or image) just for that region. Re Eire, we were on holiday there for a week when I went back to visit the UK in '99. We toured, mainly Dubliin, Cork, a town known for its gourmet food and seafood the name of which I forget right now but it had a restaurant called the Oyster Catcher. And lots of points in between.

I loved Dublin; the only town I've ever visited that has a writer's museum. Says a lot about the Irish

Im guessing that the gourmet town was Kinsale near Cork?
    And thanks for the advice, Im getting there, slowly.

Kinsale - that was it. Lovely little place.

Mike,
    I'm late coming to this thread - just started playing with NOF 12 after years of NOF 7 and 7.5. I find the latest 'style' system much trickier than it used to be.

Franko was on the right track about 'frames'. Years ago, when bandwidth was tight, we set up websites with static top and left borders and the browser just loaded a new 'layout' (called "body-xx" in the file set.) Saved lots of time.

I am poking around trying to understand (as you are) why the Layout background propagates into the top and either side of the layout - it never used to in prior versions of NOF. Mst be some HTML 5 thing, as noted above.

The easiest solution (that I used in the past and as suggested by Franko,) is a Layout Region. You can define an area of the layout, up to the full size of the layout, and put into it the usual text, link, and other content. The region has its own background, which can be color or a tiled image.
    I think the only drawback is that it doesn't automatically resize - especially the length.

The blue stripe is the background image defined in the default SiteStyle. This particular background image is a 10 x 87 pixel Gif that repeats horizontally.

htc one mini 2 hülle
    Last edited by Kolomeis; 12-16-2014 at 03:24 AM.
    Setze dir ein hohes Ziel...Setze dir ein festes, kein unbestimmtes Ziel. Setze dir ein unerschütterliches, kein wackliges Ziel! samsung galaxy s5 handytasche