Thread: Unwanted popup hints on menu buttons

Default Unwanted popup hints on menu buttons

On graphical menu buttons I get a popup hint displayed (on the published page) when I mouse over the button. The text in the hint is the same as the text on the button, so is really rather redundant.
    I don't get popup hints on any dropdown buttons, so I feel it must be possible to disable the top level popup hints somehow.
    I suspect they appear because NOF generates 'alt' text fields for the top level buttons, but I can't find a way to edit or disable this alt text.
    Does anyone know a way to disable these popups?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-10-27 09_24_12-Perkins Technologies - Home.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	1894

it is not recommended to disable this as this would be a negative for google

the only way to disable and not get punished is by using the Nof text navbar option such as seen in my site

Found it, fixed it.
    In the Object Tree you can edit the name and alt text for each button:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-10-27 09_58_37-Perkins Tech 2013.nod - NetObjects Fusion 2013.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	1895

For some strange reason every time you untick a 'Use page name in Alt tag' checkbox it changes all the 'NavigationButton' numbers, which is why mine are so high in the above screenshot! I don't actually have that many buttons...

yes you can rename, but I would not disable Alt text

Without setting it to blank though I still get those silly popup hints. I see hardly any websites with graphical buttons (including this forum one) that show the popup hints, so they must all have blank Alt text.

What you're seeing is the browser action, nothing to do specifically with NoF. The best practice on the web now is not to use graphical buttons but to use CSS; with CSS3 you have much more graphical control over the browser. However, NoF hasn't caught up with this yet although I'm darn sure they're working on it for a future edition.

In the meantime you can use CSS3 Menus or AllWebMenus (and there may be others) to create CSS navigation. This will bring your site into best practice.

Thanks Franko. 'Best practice' seems to change so fast it's hard to keep up! Particularly when maintaining the odd website is very much a part-time activity for me..

I did manage to fix the problem in NOF though. I found that in the Object Tree window I could expand the NavigationBar object and select individual buttons. In the properties that then show there is a checkbox for 'Use page name in Alt tag'. I unticked that and then edited the Alt tag to be blank. And that got rid of the popup hints!

Anton suggests that's not ideal, but I can't see it being any worse than a menu bar system built with CSS or Javascript that doesn't have Alt tags anyway... Surely it would only be if a browser was blocking all images that the user would then (with no Alt tags) have no idea what they were looking at?

The purpose of Alt tags is to provide a functional web site for people who a) are vision impaired or have text-to-speech readers, b) have images turned off in their browsers (although that's much rarer in these days of ubiquitous broadband but it used to be quite common to speed up browsing), or c) use a text only browsers (not as rare as you might think; I sometimes still use Lynx when I'm seeking specific information and want to find it quickly which means surfing through a large number of pages). I think the first is the most important, though; without Alt tags disabled people are at a real disadvantage when using the web.

How does this work with CSS or Javascripted menus then? If the browser doesn't recognize Alt tags in them (and it doesn't seem to because there are no popup hints), how do text-to-speech readers handle them?

If an alt tage is included in the code AFAIK the browser will display it. I presume you need to manually code the alt tags in the html markup; I don't know if any of the applications such as CSS3Menu place the alt tag in the html as I haven't tried them yet.