Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a contact form with Forms Handler

Default Creating a contact form with Forms Handler

I bring up forms handler component. I click on it. Then use left mouse button to place in an area on the page. I can edit the properties and then when I click "ok". All I see on my page in edit mode is the "icon" for the forms handler. No form.
    When I look at preview mode, I see a dark grey box only.

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks,

Dennis

You have to publish to a web server (either ASP or PHP) in order for the form to display as they are in a dynamic language.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thanks... but to be sure I understand, until I publish my contact page to my actual web site server, I will not be able to see the contents of the form in NOF? That seems strange that publishing to the web is required for me to see an object as a form in the NOF13 program.

Thanks also for your tutorials, which I looked at already for using the forms handler, but am still stuck here, hence the post.

Can you clarify?

Dennis

I just published the page using NOF13 (I published the entire site previously using filezilla fTPS). When I close and open NOF13, I still see just the Icon box, no form.

Thanks

This is a shot of the page and what the "form" appears as.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forms handler view.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	1910

what is the url where the form was uploaded?
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I have given up on the design view issue... the form shows up fine when published. But, it has an error and does not finish (go to success page or send email data- I had not used the db function until I tried that today). I am now trying to add the data base function thinking that it is looking for that (even though I had not checked it off, but have since done that) However, I can not use the wizard because I can not use the publish function. 1and1 ISP requires FTPS and NOF only uses SFTP. Even using plain FTP does not work. So, I have created an MS SQL data base on the site (it is included) and they gave me the code (shown below less actual db address and PW) but I don't know where to place it (what file?) Also, how do I trouble shoot getting it to function with our with out the db function? BTW, I am using filezilla for publishing and it works fine using FTPS Thanks!

<?php
    $host_name = "dbxxxxxxxx.db.1and1.com";
    $database = "dbxxxxxxxx";
    $user_name = "dbxxxxxxxx";
    $password = "<Enter your password here >";

//Connection to the database
    $dbhandle = mssql_connect($host_name, $user_name, $password)
    or die("Failed to connect to MSSQL Server: $host_name");

//Select database
    $selected = mssql_select_db($database, $dbhandle)
    or die("Cannot open database $database");
    ?>

Well, in absence of using my MS SQL data base (not even sure that is what I should do or can do) I was able to get the form working by creating the proper directory on the site eliminating that error (not finding directory) and corrected the credentials for sending mail from the form handler. I am now getting s simple CSV file of the form that is filled out, it is sending me the data via an email (although I thought it was supposed to send the person filling out the form a confirmation message, that is not working; can anyone advise on that?) So, this has at least been a lesson in experimentation and patience.

Any comments on using the MS SQL data base for collecting my inquiry form?

Thanks

I would personally not use any of the included form tools

I would just add all the form fields and submit button with Nof and use a free third party script to process, works correct 100% with http://www.dbmasters.net/node/18 form mailer

this way you can see and test your form from a simple local publish (providing you uploaded the script)

The such approach is not very good, I totally agree with antonsvideo.