Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: View

Default View

Is there a way to format your site so if you bring up the website on a smartphone, pad or computer, the page adjusts to the viewers screen size? 'm using version 12

Yes but not in NoF. You have to hand code the site. There are plenty of instructions on the internet. Google Responsie Web Design.

You don't have to hand code the site for responsive design, there are wysiwyg editors with responsive design built in everywhere now.

If you want to stay with NOF, the only simple way is to build your site a second time at different width and insert the following code to detect the browser width of the user and redirect.

This is about as simple as that goes:

<script type="text/javascript">

if (screen.width<768) {
    window.location="http://www.yourdomain.com/mobile/pagename.html";
    }

</script>
    Last edited by Beach Ape; 11-25-2014 at 09:15 PM.

there are wysiwyg editors with responsive design built in
    Yes there is (note I said 'is' not are). Xara is the only one I know that is truly wysiwyg but you still have to do as you do in NoF and build a second site. It does generate the selection script for you, though, although, as you said, it doesn't get much simpler than cut and pasting one of the many scripts available on the net, or editing the .htaccess file.

Others I've looked at, and have, are either completely template driven (and I think you know my opinion of those if you represent yourself as a designer) such as artisteer, wordpress, joomla or require you to jump through a number of hoops (such as wysiwyg web designer).

I am still hoping the next iteration of NoF will have an easy responsive output but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Others I've looked at, and have, are either completely template driven (and I think you know my opinion of those if you represent yourself as a designer)
    I understand your opinion with templates but could never agree with it. Anyone can represent themselves as a 'designer' but my customers couldn't care less what I call myself, or how I put their site together. They would just hand over a check and say, "here, call yourself whatever you want." Your portfolio is what represents you and your clients as well.

The templates I look at follow correct/proper principals in web design (linked) and such templates are built by designers. What wrecks a site design is how the content is added and this happens also with so-called designers who publish 'custom' sites. Besides, NOF understands it's market and provides templates for those who want to hit the web running. I would never discourage a new user against them.

I've looked through those platforms you mentioned but went further. Really the simplest to use wysiwyg responsive editor is godaddy's web builder required an almost nil learning curve. You start off with a template but you can also customize it as you see fit. If I needed more features I'd go to squarespace or pagelines. But I'm sure ucidiver isn't interested in how much other stuff we can name.

Thanks both of you. So the bottom line is its not easy with NOF and if I have an established site, I need to rebuild it in order to get the right formatting in. I have a large site (176 pages) and very little knowledge on building a site. Is there any programs that convert a NOF website over to another software package? I'm using version 12 and have had some other issues with photographs, etc.

Default Video

I am trying to embed a video onto my home page. When I go to view the page, the size of my page has reformatted and shrunk. I'm also trying to get a photo gallery to scroll on the page. The only thing I can get is all my pictures displaying as thumbnails. I'm trying to get them to automatically scroll through my photos and view them larger than thumbnails on the page.

uciman - no tools to import. None to import from one wysiwyg web generator to another at all, or even to really successfuly import a published site (to many scripts and backend calls these days_. You really do have to rebuild. However, if you have all your assets and the content already prepared this is not such an onerous task. 176 pages should take you a couple days - three max.

Looks like you're putting the cart before the horse uciman, and you're really not going to build your site in three days when you're still deciding on content. You're going to have take some time an try things out.

For embedding video in v12, in page view look for a tab (on left frame?) Custom Components, then 'Plug Ins' and choose the type of video you have to install, then draw a rectangle and use the wizard. But rather than do that it is recommended is that you create yourself a YouTube account, upload your video there and use their embed code to put video on your page (a simple copy/paste function). This is added SEO since both your site and video will then be indexed into search engines.

Anyway, you'll need some time to spend on trial and error. Don't try something once then give it up to the forums. Puzzling it out will make you stronger in your knowledge as you learn.

Thanks guys, I've had my website for approx. 15 years and working with NOF the entire time. I've gone to the forums I think 4 times, this one I think will make 5.

I've always kept my website very basic. I'm just now trying to do other things with it like add video. I understand how to insert it, but when I do, it reformats the page, shrinks the boarders when I go to view it. It does not do that on another experimental site I've built (that's my trial and error method), but my published site does change when I go to view it. That's the part I have not figured out. Sorry to bother anyone with a question.