Thread: navigation bar fly-out submenu appears under items on page

Default navigation bar fly-out submenu appears under items on page

In NOF 2013, I've created a horizontal navigation bar with fly-out submenus. I also have a vertical navigation bar inside the page. When I open the drop-down submenu, the submenu items appear under the vertical navigation bar. Isn't the drop-down supposed to appear all other items in the page?

Not sure I understand what you're asking. The dropdown submenu items appear under or beside the main menu items (depending on what you've set in the properties). Perhaps if you post a URL so we can see what's happening we may be able to help you.

There is a CSS property for everything on the page called "z-index". This tells the browser which items on the page will stack on top of others. The higher the number, the closer they are to the front of the page.

Have a look here: http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_pos_z-index.asp

Generally NOF sorts things out pretty well on it's own, but sometimes when you do something unusual, it may not end up as you like. Some things will be assigned a z-index of 999 if they really want to be on top, or a z-index of -1 if they for sure want to be at the bottom (like a background image). Most likely it's set to "auto" for most elements, meaning things will stack in the order they appear in the HTML document.

Check the CSS Property Panel under "Position" to manually edit z-index and see if you can work it out that way.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Hi sid,

I just had the very same problem a few days ago.
    I updated a 5-page chapter of one of my web sites, and on two pages the "fly-out" submenu flew right under the vertical navigation bar (added: instead of popping up on the right) and on other two pages it did not appear anywhere at all (added: not even under the vertical navigation bar! ...).
    I realized my PC Windows 7 and NOF 2013 joined hands to annoy me and I thought of asking for help here.

Stubborn as I am, I tried this and that and published the entire chapter at least 50 times to see if it works the way it is supposed. Nothing worked.

Guess what?
    Two hours later it dawned on me to delete the nasty navigation bars (added: from the 4 problem pages) and copy the good navigation bar (added: from the 5th page) to paste it on the unruly pages.
    It worked.
    Last edited by Since_v4; 12-28-2014 at 01:06 AM.
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

I cut the navigation bar and pasted it again as John suggested and then is started working properly. As Ray indicated, it seems NOF decides which items to display in front according to its own rules. It seems the sequence in which items are added to a page has something to do with it.

Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by sid-teknimedia View Post
    I cut the navigation bar and pasted it again as John suggested and then is started working properly. As Ray indicated, it seems NOF decides which items to display in front according to its own rules. It seems the sequence in which items are added to a page has something to do with it.

Thank you all!
    Hi Sid,

It seems we (some of us who are not NOF masters) must learn to work WITH the software, not against it ...
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.