Thread: Considering buying NOF 2013

Question Considering buying NOF 2013

I have been using NOF for about 10 years (give or take) and have loved it. The problem I have had with NOF 12 probably isn't a problem with NOF but it makes me hesitant to upgrade. My main site has been upgraded so many times that the code is basically FUBARed. Since I am seriously thinking about a major rebuild of the site I am wondering if instead of upgrading to 2013 I should just buy the new version and start from scratch? I would like to keep the old version on one of my computers so that I can maintain some of my clients' sites while I learn the new version and get a handle on it.

I am open to suggestions about upgrading vs a new stand alone.

Thanks.

A Fusion "Upgrade" doesn't touch the current installation. It's an "upgrade" for pricing purposes only. The new version is a full install and is installed in its own program folder. You'll be able to use both Fusion 12 and 2013 afterwards.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Quote Originally Posted by libersales View Post
    I have been using NOF for about 10 years (give or take) and have loved it. The problem I have had with NOF 12 probably isn't a problem with NOF but it makes me hesitant to upgrade. My main site has been upgraded so many times that the code is basically FUBARed. Since I am seriously thinking about a major rebuild of the site I am wondering if instead of upgrading to 2013 I should just buy the new version and start from scratch? I would like to keep the old version on one of my computers so that I can maintain some of my clients' sites while I learn the new version and get a handle on it.

I am open to suggestions about upgrading vs a new stand alone.

Thanks.
    Hi liber,

1). What’s the rush to buy all about?
    Why not wait for when a new version of NOF comes out?

2). Most of the times I upgrade NOF and update my web sites, I rename the files on the server with .old in the end.
    I upload the newest edition of my web site, I view it in the browser, I check every page, button and link and if there are no alarming events, I just delete the xxxxx.old files.
    My server files look like:

assets
    assets.old
    html
    html.old
    index
    index.old

Rarely, I keep the xxxx.old files on the hosting server for a few days just in case I see something bad 2-3 days later or to buy myself time to modify something.
    Visitors at my web site during work in progress see something they don’t understand … ha, ha, haaa
    but after a few minutes, the new web site looks gorgeous …

3). I just updated a 14-page web site where I gave up the flying buttons using the trick above.
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.