Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NetObjects MOSAIC ???

Default NetObjects MOSAIC ???

New Year Greetings! And NOF 2015 has been released, OK! Should be interesting.

NOM Unanswered questions from other posts.

1.) Is NOM something that can be loaded on the PC after purchase? (Appears to be Cloud based.)

2.) Purchase price? (Why the big secret? So high it will scare us away, or so less we'll think it's of no value?)

3.) When J-Query updates how does this work with NOM? (As some functions change or are dropped.)

Comments:
    Net Objects MOSAIC is based on the J-Query kernel which is great, for it will auto-fit to any screen even a desktop.
    A couple of my sites will be mostly info, so a separate mobile site with long scrolling pages with the latest at the top would be fine. I believe most of us who are, or want, to use a PC loaded web design program are going balk at using a cloud based program. Why not port this out for windows? Using J-Query Mobile on it's own is for coders and not for me. So something like NOM would give people a mobile/desktop option whether they used NOF or some other program. One program has J-QM built in, but I may not use it or want to. And as stated, it will fit to any screen.

Kind Regards
    Donald

Steve / Adam?

Hi there,

See my thread at http://forums.netobjects.com/showthr...saic-questions for similarities with yours.
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Had a lengthy reply and comments. Timed out and kicked off. That's ok, should have saved to word or notepad as usual before trying to post. I'll just crawl back in the hole I came out of. Hey, Bronco Billy I'm sure you'd be happy to kick the stone over the opening, thanks. I bet this one will post. (At least the Lions are done and the Pistons are "Red Hot". I know, don't hold your breath, this is Detroit.)

Donald

Hi Donald,

1). Ha, ha, ha, You got it right ...

2). You did not hope you would be getting 28 answers in less than one hour, did you?
    At least you got one answer and now the second. I did not get even one ...

I personally forgot about Mosaic by now hoping my cyber-sales at the desktop web site won't grind to a screeching halt.

Here is another link http://forums.netobjects.com/showthr...s-anyone-using
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

In case you haven't answered your own questions yet...

Mosaic is a cloud-based, subscription service. Your site is built via the Mosaic web site and hosted by NO. Cost is about $5/month.

I can't provide a qualified answer to your question about J-Query. I can't imagine functionality just disappearing. Since they are hosting with their CDN, I imagine they could source whichever version of J-Query they want; but that's just a guess.

HTH
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    In case you haven't answered your own questions yet...

Mosaic is a cloud-based, subscription service. Your site is built via the Mosaic web site and hosted by NO. Cost is about $5/month.

I can't provide a qualified answer to your question about J-Query. I can't imagine functionality just disappearing. Since they are hosting with their CDN, I imagine they could source whichever version of J-Query they want; but that's just a guess.

HTH
    Thank you Ray.

Why prices are not displayed at the web site will remain a mystery.

I, for one, prefer a standalone software which I can download and convert my web sites to mobile use.

Are you familiar with any such software? OK, I can run a search to find out but do you recommend any?

It seems to be an online marketing practice used by many -- do not provide any pricing until they're hooked. I've seen innumerable sites that say things like "FREE DOWNLOAD" or "Sign Up for your FREE ACCOUNT".

Sure, the download is free, the account is free, but if you actually want to use the product, it'll cost ya.

Frankly, I want to know exactly what I'm looking at, including cost, before I "try" anything. There's no point if the price-point doesn't match the budget.

A pet peeve of mine.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Thanks Ray, all I needed to know that it's cloud based and I'm done.

v4, interesting and no comment. About your sites and mobile/tablet, most programs like NOF that generate HTML 5 will auto-fit to a phone or tablet because of the browser software.

Most just recommend a page width of 960 pixels and some handle up to 1280. Just stay away from mouse-overs to start and flash is dead.

Also try to keep a column clear of any clickable objects for scrolling. You can also make mobile pages with NOF just set the width between 320 and 600 and see how it looks.

You can add a button or mobile/desktop icon to toggle between the two or insert a script. Make the text around 16 to 18 points and see how it looks.

A lot of info about designing for mobile is available and the best part is it can be a simplified version of your full site. (That's what many recommend.)

If you don't have a test site to load then set up a sub-site and call it mobile or test. (Check your web host info and or tutorials.)

Try a few pages, nothing to loose. Come on v15, I mean v4, this ain't no country club, this NOF land! See what you can do.

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post

Frankly, I want to know exactly what I'm looking at, including cost, before I "try" anything. There's no point if the price-point doesn't match the budget.
    That's what I meant.
    $5/month is not much at all considering the perfect (or assumed perfect) correlation between the software and hosting environment coming from the same company.

You tempt me to begin moving my web sites to mobile, but I am overworked already and do not feel like adding more work to my routines.
    One day this may change ...

Or maybe I wait until wireless dies out and satellite communications/software/hosting takes over ...

Quote Originally Posted by gl33 View Post
    Thanks Ray, all I needed to know that it's cloud based and I'm done.

v4, interesting and no comment. About your sites and mobile/tablet, most programs like NOF that generate HTML 5 will auto-fit to a phone or tablet because of the browser software.

Most just recommend a page width of 960 pixels and some handle up to 1280. Just stay away from mouse-overs to start and flash is dead.

Also try to keep a column clear of any clickable objects for scrolling. You can also make mobile pages with NOF just set the width between 320 and 600 and see how it looks.

You can add a button or mobile/desktop icon to toggle between the two or insert a script. Make the text around 16 to 18 points and see how it looks.

A lot of info about designing for mobile is available and the best part is it can be a simplified version of your full site. (That's what many recommend.)

If you don't have a test site to load then set up a sub-site and call it mobile or test. (Check your web host info and or tutorials.)

Try a few pages, nothing to loose. Come on v15, I mean v4, this ain't no country club, this NOF land! See what you can do.

Donald
    Hi Donald,

Thanks for your input.
    I regret it did not come over beers.