Thread: MySql/PHP database connector broken?

Default MySql/PHP database connector broken?

Have just upgraded from NOF10 to 12. I think the native PHP/MySQL DB connector is broken.

I cannot get the connector to connect to a remote MySQL server - other tools can connect fine, so no firewall or ISP issues. Connection is via port 3306.

No matter what I try the Custom String/MySql setting fails to connect to the remote database. Now, here is the strange thing, as an experiment I installed the MySQL ODBC driver and configured it to connect to the remote database, then in NOF12 setting the connector to DSN and going via the MySql ODBC driver works perfectly! Clearly this is no good for actually publishing the site as it is hosted in a LAMP environment.

As a work around I am hoping that setting the connector back to Custom String/Localhost just prior to publishing will cause the page to work correctly - but I still have to test that. Would really prefer for the native connector to work properly!

Has anybody else had the same problem and/or know an easier workaround?

Footnote to the above, it appears that the workaround of initially using the MySql ODBC Driver/DSN method to connect to the remote database (allowing you to set up table views and filters etc) then resetting the connector back to the Custom String settings just prior to publishing the page, appears to work.

But it is a real pain to have to go though this process everytime you want to publish or update a page.

Would somebody from Netobjects care to comment on this strange behaviour of the DB Connector?

Hi jcbdigger, I wasn't able to recreate the remote DB connection issue in our QA lab yet. But while we keep digging into it, I thought I'd post suggestion about changing the connection before publishing.

You can assign a connection profile to specific publishing profiles by clicking the globe icon on the Data Sources panel. Hopefully this will alleviate the switching back and forth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	profiles..png 
Views:	377 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	807  
    Mike
    NetObjects Technical Support
    forums.NetObjects.com

Hi,
    Has there been any development on the problem that jcbdigger reported? I'm having exactly the same problem with version 8. It only works with the workaround but is a pain. Just tried version 11 and it's behaving exactly the same way with an exception that when I do the workaround and publish the site, it doesn't fill a combo box with data and I get this PHP error in the logs:

[Fri Mar 11 17:40:12 2011] [error] [client x.x.x.x] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function Move() on a non-object in /home/public_html/index.php on line 95

This is affecting my work quite badly as my front-end designer can only create the looks and not the database functionality which I have to pick up. And when front-end designer introduces some changes and re-publishes the site, then I've got to redo all my work.

I'm having the exact same issue with NOF 11. It won't connect.

Quote Originally Posted by Arturs Elksnis View Post
    Hi,
    Has there been any development on the problem that jcbdigger reported? I'm having exactly the same problem with version 8. It only works with the workaround but is a pain. Just tried version 11 and it's behaving exactly the same way with an exception that when I do the workaround and publish the site, it doesn't fill a combo box with data and I get this PHP error in the logs:

[Fri Mar 11 17:40:12 2011] [error] [client x.x.x.x] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function Move() on a non-object in /home/public_html/index.php on line 95

This is affecting my work quite badly as my front-end designer can only create the looks and not the database functionality which I have to pick up. And when front-end designer introduces some changes and re-publishes the site, then I've got to redo all my work.

Same problem here too. Anyone got a solution yet?

Have you installed the MySQL ODBC Connector?

You can get it here: http://www.beyondfusion.com/html/links.php

The 3.x.x version may work better than the 5.x.x for some setups.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums