Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Problem publishing Locally and Remotedly

Default Still having problems - new problems with publishing my website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette Daniels View Post
    Chuck, I changed the FTP password and got that to work. I must have written down the wrong password before, I assume. However, I have a new problem. See picture below:

Attachment 2072

I'm not sure what this message means. At first it said that I had this problem and asked if I wanted it fixed. Then I got the message above that it could not be fixed. Any ideas? Thanks. Jeanette
    Chuck, I am still not getting anywhere with publishing my site. I got the following problems:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOF FORBIDDEN.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	2075

I have talked with two different Media Temple support people who had me make these changes: My directory is to be /home/180372/domains/heritagebuildingblocks.org/html

My host is to continue to be: s180372.gridserver.com

None of the three Media Temple support people I have talked with wanted much changed. The above directory change is it. I was told that that directory should work. However, I now get the following messages:

Name:	NOF base diretory.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	2076

Is there a way to make this base directory in NetObjects Fusion???

This is the current information that the Media Temple support help told me would work.

Name:	NOF publishsite.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	2077

Thanks, Jeanette

Chuck, I am still not getting anywhere with publishing my site. I got the following problems:

Name:	NOF FORBIDDEN.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	2075

I have talked with two different Media Temple support people who had me make these changes: My directory is to be /home/180372/domains/heritagebuildingblocks.org/html

My host is to continue to be: s180372.gridserver.com

None of the three Media Temple support people I have talked with wanted much changed. The above directory change is it. I was told that that directory should work. However, I now get the following messages:

Name:	NOF Base directory can't make.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	2078

Is there a way to make this base directory in NetObjects Fusion???

This is the current information that the Media Temple support help told me would work.

Name:	NOF publishsite.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	2077

Thanks, Jeanette
    The third picture should say, Can't create base directory.

When you log in to the web server using your FTP credentials, it takes you to a root directory. Within that directory is the "domains" directory.

Therefore, the /home/180372 they're telling you is wrong. They have FTP set up to root you to the directory within /home/180372, apparently.

Use the directory path information I sent you in the PM and you'll be fine. /domains/heritagebuildingblocks.org/html NOT /home/180372/domains/heritagebuildingblocks.org/html

Use the host they gave you or your own domain as I told you. Either will work, since the IP address is shared.

Fusion can't create a "base directory" at the location they're giving you because to a FTP program it doesn't exist. And it shouldn't have to. The base directory is provided by the host.

I'm still mystified why they have your directory root in the html folder, since they have the .htaccess file in the directory above it.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Quote Originally Posted by chuckj View Post
    Jeanette,

Your main issue was the incorrect password. The other issues are the publish directory and ftp method.

I PMed you with my analysis and correct settings.

Good luck!
    Chuck and everyone else following this thread, I was going to report success. I finally got the website to publish. The Media Temple people finally looked more closely and in addition to all the suggestions that you senior members gave me here at NetObjects Fusion, one of the support people at MT saw that I was using the default.html and had me change to the index.html. That allowed me to finally publish my website late last night. However, today, I tried to make a small spelling correction and discovered that if I view the website in Internet Explorer that all corrections show up. If I view the website in Mozilla Firefox, then only the first information I published to the website shows. I find this strange. Should I go back in a change from Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox and publish again so that the correction will show up. This seems odd to me. Please advise. Thank you very much. Jeanette

Refresh your cache in Firefox.

When you publish changes, they'll appear in all browsers.. unless you're looking at a cached version of the page in a particular browser.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Default Just figured that out myself - SO YES, SUCCESS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckj View Post
    Refresh your cache in Firefox.

When you publish changes, they'll appear in all browsers.. unless you're looking at a cached version of the page in a particular browser.
    Chuck, I just figured that out myself. Thanks for being patient with me. I do have SUCCESS!!! I am now able to publish my website(s) and am very happy. Thanks to everyone for guiding me through. The support on this NetObjects Fusion forum is really great. Jeanette

Chuck and everyone else following this thread, I was going to report success. I finally got the website to publish. The Media Temple people finally looked more closely and in addition to all the suggestions that you senior members gave me here at NetObjects Fusion, one of the support people at MT saw that I was using the default.html and had me change to the index.html. That allowed me to finally publish my website late last night. However, today, I tried to make a small spelling correction and discovered that if I view the website in Internet Explorer that all corrections show up. If I view the website in Mozilla Firefox, then only the first information I published to the website shows. I find this strange. Should I go back in a change from Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox and publish again so that the correction will show up. This seems odd to me. Please advise. Thank you very much. Jeanette
    Hi there,

I used to be a fulltime web master (1997 - 2000) and since then I no longer design web sites for a living but I build and maintain my own web sites.
    I never used the NOF FTP feature.
    I used (in order) Ipswitch, moved on to ACE FTP Freeware for many years which I still use now. For the past 2 years I also have CoffeeCup Free FTP for back up purposes.
    It happened to me for ACE FTP not to work well and then I start CoffeeCup Free FTP which works like a breeze.

I tell you all this because it is much better to use FTP software: it shows you the directories in two separate windows: local and server side.
    You cannot go wrong seeing where your folders are and where you want to upload your pages.

With NOF ftp feature you do not see such information in front of you.

NOTE: I do not advertise for the aforesaid softwares for remuneration, and you can find other free FTP packages on the Net.
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Chuck, I just figured that out myself. Thanks for being patient with me. I do have SUCCESS!!! I am now able to publish my website(s) and am very happy. Thanks to everyone for guiding me through. The support on this NetObjects Fusion forum is really great. Jeanette
    Hi again,

Maybe you show us your masterpiece???
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.