Thread: Nav button with external link

Default Nav button with external link

I think I know the answer, but...

I have a navigation bar which is fine when generated by NOF as "Structure = Site", but I want to have a button on the nav bar that goes to an external link.

To do this do I have to switch to "Structure = Custom" and manually re-build the navigation bar, or is there an easier way to simply insert a button with an external link or alter one of the existing buttons to go to an external link?

I suppose I could create a dummy page and use an HTML redirect. Just wondering if there are any other simple options.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

if you don't want to edit the existing Navbar, you could create a second navbar and set custom and make one external link, then place that new one button navbar next to the existing navbar

I always create a custom navbar for any site because I always make the Home button an external link otherwise google will punish your rankings for having two pages with the same content, example site.com and site.com/index.html so I always link the Home button to site.com

#!: Go to Asset view and add your external link as a LINK asset
    (use the "name" you want on the nav bar for the asset name to simplify things)
    #2: go to page view
    #3: Select the nav bar component
    #4: Click the More Pages button
    #5: Select External Link From the drop down
    #6: Your link asset will be in the list, select it and press the add button

This will add the external link to the END of the nav bar but keeps things simple and Fusion-ized

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	addExternalToNavBar-15.gif 
Views:	259 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	2106  
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

That's a neat trick, Mike.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

you don't need to add the link asset in asset view, you can just type it in the more pages section and then add from left to right, then rename

however, it will be the last button on the navbar

when using the custom option, you can order the items as needed

I noticed when I went to try this, the "asset" was already there because I had created the external link elsewhere.

I have use a single button nav bar before, usually for a single link within a page or when I want to offset one nav button from the rest. No reason I couldn't bump it against the rest of the nav bar to make it continuous.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Multiple components mean multiple redundant code.

Adding a button in site structure is just another line of code within the existing code block.

The best way to use the nav bar component is via the custom option, even if you are keeping everything "site structure" as you have the flexibility to rearrange the order in custom without rearranging the actual structure of the site within site view
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

For now, I'm going with a NOF page with an HTML redirect on it and a 5 second delay. I suspect it conforms better to some "code of conduct" to inform site visitors they are being redirected to a different URL before sending them there.

But good to know the options available.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    I think I know the answer, but...

I have a navigation bar which is fine when generated by NOF as "Structure = Site", but I want to have a button on the nav bar that goes to an external link.

To do this do I have to switch to "Structure = Custom" and manually re-build the navigation bar, or is there an easier way to simply insert a YO WhatsApp button with an external link or alter one of the existing buttons to go to an external link?

I suppose I could create a dummy page and use an HTML redirect. Just wondering if there are any other simple options.
    I always create a custom navbar for any site because I always make the Home button an external link otherwise google will punish your rankings for having two pages with the same content, example site.com and site.com/index.html so I always link the Home button to site.com