Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hosting basics

Default Hosting basics

Hello guys,

Is there a tutorial around for the basics of hosting? I created this site, bought the domain and hosting from godaddy, cPanel, I'm logged in and have no clue what I'm doing. I'm not a web developer, just a graphics guy that was hired on, and I figured I'd take a stab at creating the companies new site. A local publish looks great, and I entered the correct info when the screen comes up for global publishing..there are files loaded but when entering the address it still comes up "coming soon!" from godaddy. There's a lot about publishing I don't understand. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonM View Post
    Hello guys,

Is there a tutorial around for the basics of hosting? I created this site, bought the domain and hosting from godaddy, cPanel, I'm logged in and have no clue what I'm doing. I'm not a web developer, just a graphics guy that was hired on, and I figured I'd take a stab at creating the companies new site. A local publish looks great, and I entered the correct info when the screen comes up for global publishing..there are files loaded but when entering the address it still comes up "coming soon!" from godaddy. There's a lot about publishing I don't understand. Thanks in advance!
    You should direct all hosting questions to your web host as each web host will be set up differently.

My guess is you have the wrong folder location in your remote profile.

Ask godaddy where you need to upload your files.

Before you do this, you should do a forced browser refresh.

Go to your "coming soon" page and while holding your control key press your F5 function key.

IF it still says coming soon you are uploading to the wrong place or godaddy is using a proxy on your domain and you will have to wait until they update their poroxy for your content to display
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

WOW! control F5 worked. Thanks! Even though we're not advertising yet (because I'm new at this and we're still building the new brand) check it out. http://www.greeningproducts.com/....I notice my lightbox gallery not working...hmmm...
    Last edited by NelsonM; 02-04-2015 at 05:43 PM. Reason: forgot to give thanks.

You need to massively compress your background image. It is print quality and print size. You could easily get it down to under 10th the actual file size and still have it razor sharp. At first I thought the site was not there as the background took almost a minute to download and display for me. No one is going to wait around over a minute to see an empty page.

To see the load time do the ctrl+F5 on the page and see for yourself how log it takes to load for a first time visitor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	background.gif 
Views:	336 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	2102

Go over my "graphics for the web" tutorial.

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4087

You will find all of the answers to the questions you are NOW going to ask answered in that tutorial in more detail than I can give you on here
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm used to working with high detail, I'm not used to making things quick for the web. I tried ctrlF5 and it only took like 6 seconds for me. But I'll look into it, when saving the image it's saved as 1920x1080 at 72 dpi, png file. Not sure how to compress it any further with keeping the wide format we like (which is posing a problem with other computers), like I said, I'm new to the game, have a look I want but don't know how to do it, I wish it would resize for everyone. Probably too advanced for me. Thanks for your help!

Use the Save For Web tool in Photoshop. With this image you could come down to 60% quality without any real loss of screen detail.

Thanks Franko! I'll do some research as I don't use photoshop, I'm using CorelDraw graphics Suite X7, Corel Website Creator comes with it which is essentially netobjects. I'm sure CorelDraw or Corel Photo-Paint has something similar I can use to downsize the image.

There is a compress option in CorelDraw X7 suite graphic.

You have used PNG for your background image, try JPEG and compress it down until you see artifacts, then bring the rez up a few clicks until they go away. You have a pretty large graphic and one I would NOT use but you "should be able to take it down to around 100k without losing too much detail.

I am sure once you start to place text on the page you will either need to create a white text area to hold the textual content so that it can be read which makes the background have far less impact so less important

Ok! That sounds like a plan, I will try that. And the thing about this site is, there won't be much text at all. The company I work for has a decent following already in the industry, it's just a new "branch" to launch our product line. For the most part greeningproducts will be a visual representation of what we offer....for the most part we agree our "home" is like a splash screen, the background image explains in short what we do, we build wheels, I think our rollovers on the main page will go to our products as a secondary option other than the drop down menu, wheels/lighting/products..our galleries will consist of the finished products on customer cars...contact page will have standard contact info with a link to our Hot rod site...(previously built, really slow)...and my initial plan was was to modify the background images according to what's on the site (darker transparent shape to highlight the text I would put it).Thanks guys for all the info!
    Last edited by NelsonM; 02-05-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonM View Post
    Ok! That sounds like a plan, I will try that. And the thing about this site is, there won't be much text at all. The company I work for has a decent following already in the industry, it's just a new "branch" to launch our product line. For the most part greeningproducts will be a visual representation of what we offer....for the most part we agree our "home" is like a splash screen, the background image explains in short what we do, we build wheels, I think our rollovers on the main page will go to our products as a secondary option other than the drop down menu, wheels/lighting/products..our galleries will consist of the finished products on customer cars...contact page will have standard contact info with a link to our Hot rod site...(previously built, really slow)...and my initial plan was was to modify the background images according to what's on the site (darker transparent shape to highlight the text I would put it).Thanks guys for all the info!
    Hi Nelson,

What I like about you that you admit not knowing anything about hosting.

I use cPanel for my web sites for many, many years because I used to be a fulltime web master (1997 -2000), but I won’t engage in explaining cPanel to you here.

Instead I highly recommend http://www.gotfusion.com/ for everything you need (NOF AND hosting support). I do NOT get paid to refer potential customers to them but they are true professionals with experience neither you, not me will ever have.
    Talk to Mike.

The difference between you and me is that you will need high web masters skills while I am happy with the little I mastered over the years already.

You, as a budding web master, can make your life easy and run a smash hit web site for your employer or you can waste time hopping around for answers all over the Net.

Good luck!
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.