Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to copy/import existing web sites

Default how to copy/import existing web sites

Hello,
    I have created some web sites with NetObjects 10, but lost the software & sites due to PC failure.
    (yes, I know, I should have backups, but I lost them as well, drive reformatted in error !!).

I now have a new Windows 8 PC, and brought upgrade to NetObjects 2015.
    As the live web sites are still in place, can I just start a new project, then ftp/import each site?

In short, no. There used to be a menu item called "New Site -> From existing site" that would attempt to create a .NOD file from an existing website. It never worked very well and created a lot of confusion for users. It appears that NO have (finally) removed that from the menu.

When you work in NOF, it creates a database describing what elements you used (text, graphics), formatting settings, and placement on the page, and a million other things. It only creates HTML when you click "Publish", and does so using the information it has amassed in the database that describes your site.

To do this process in reverse is complicated. I always say, it's like taking a cake and trying to extract milk and flour and eggs.

"Recovery" of your sites will involve rebuilding them in NOF. There are programs like HT-Track that can download a copy of an entire site to your hard drive. You can then use all of the downloaded image files, and copy/paste text into your new NOF layout.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Thanks Ray for the full and quick response. Not what I wanted to hear, but you have saved me a lot of time trying to work out the answer by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by video-maker View Post
    Thanks Ray for the full and quick response. Not what I wanted to hear, but you have saved me a lot of time trying to work out the answer by myself.

Set your paste default to unformatted text. View the gotFusion tutorial for full details: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4067

1. Create the blank site project in Fusion
    2. Select or create the style you want to use.
    3. Create all of the blank pages to set your site navigation
    4. Using a web browser to go each of the live site pages and copy/paste just the text from each page into the corresponding Fusion project page.
    5. Use the Fusion picture/image tool and place the images on each page where you want them.

Going this route it is a very fast painless way to move from live content into a Fusion site project file.

Most of this is covered in this gotFusion tutorial on starting site projects: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4069

Back in the "olden days" I recall having to d this to a 400 page site a few times a year. For a small site of 25 pages or less it is only an hour or so of boring copy/paste

Once you have finished use the export function to store a safe copy of the project EXTERNAL of your main machine (in case of drive failure in the future). Once you have this exported project file it will only take 4 mouse clicks to get it all back should you have an issue on your computer that causes you to lose all content.

A final GF tutorial (for this post anyway) about how to backup safely: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=16

AND how to restore from an exported backup/template: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=17
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thanks very much. I shall use this 'opportunity' to make some site improvements at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by video-maker View Post
    Thanks very much. I shall use this 'opportunity' to make some site improvements at the same time.
    This is the time to do those global changes in appearance that need to be done every once in a while.

Rework the look/feel before you xfer the content
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Really like to know about this and I also do this with my site page FM WhatsApp to solve some issue with it.

I also got knowledge about this and am very happy about it.

Default The Digital Technology of the Future is Changing Business Today

The Digital Technology of the Future is Changing Business Today – The IT department has become one of the most important for companies and the subject of digital technology. It is because the management of the assets that this area has is the support of all its information. For this reason, knowing what to expect in the coming years is relevant for directors and general managers of companies.

This year has ushered in a massive wave of technological innovations. Technology advances at a frenetic pace, continually offering improvements and facilities in working life.

In addition, 2020 is when many of the technologies that have working expect to reach the point of maturity necessary to be effectively integrated into the day-to-day lives of people and companies. @ read more The Digital Technology of the Future is Changing Business Today

Default thetechiesblog

The Techies Blog is a technology and media company dedicated to providing breakthrough technology news worldwide. The Techies Blog includes technology news, editorial information, top guides, trends, devices, and research worldwide.Our mission at The Techies Blog is to make technology more transparent and informative. Throughout the technological saga, populations use smart phones to make more informed decisions. Today, The Techies Blog offers the most valuable gadgets, how-to guides, technology trends, guides and news in the technology industry. The Techies Blog wants this information to be accessible to as many people as possible. READ MORE :- https://www.thetechiesblog.com/