Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not long now to make your web site mobile friendly

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    It also seems the presence of a viewport meta tag is acceptable to google as evidence of a mobile friendly site. But that won't last, either.
    I think the viewport meta tag is potentially a side-track. I used the Google-recommended <meta name=viewport content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1"> on pages of a website and got an "Awesome your website is mobile friendly" from Google BUT only a 1/3rd of the page width was displayed on an iPhone 5C and pinch & zoom was disabled. Quite unacceptable and unusable for the viewer. I get a good display with <meta name=viewport content="width=device-width, width=660, initial-scale=1"> but Google doesn't like that at all...

Franko, do you think Macaw would work in amending an existing Netobjects website?
    regards
    John

Never tried so I'm not sure. I'll give it a go and let you know. Don't hold your breath, though.

No you can't. I tried renaming a zip file to mcw (which is Macaw's project extension but which I understand is simply a zip file) but Macaw couldn't open it. Obviously within the zip the code is very different.

Thanks very much for testing this out. 1/3 of our site traffic is mobile so need to find a solution soon. Spotted something called Magic Liquidizer & contacted them to see if the application worked with Netobjects. They reckon it will do so I think I might give them a try. http://www.innovedesigns.com/

Hmmm.... Interesting. This would appear to be some sort of server-side script that adjusts your HTML rendering on the fly. Hard to tell, though. As with so many marketing web sites these days, very little information is provided until you buy it.

From the "translated from Russian" FAQ:
    How Magic Liquidizer plugin works?

Easily makes your website responsive to smartphone and tablet screens. It magically converts HTML elements such as images, tables, forms, videos and other HTML elements into fluid feature.
    So how does it work? Well, it appears it is "magic".

Any guinea pigs want to be the first to pony up the dough and try it with an NOF site? If so, please report back.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Just appeared in my inbox (from the makers of WOW Slider), and looks very interesting
    http://mobirise.com/

Email description below;
    We're excited to announce the Mobirise, mobile-first website builder. No coding, drag-and-drop site creation. Fully responsive, Bootstrap 3 based. Large selection of modern website blocks - jumbotrons, parallax scrolling, sticky header, etc. Publishing to a local disk, FTP and Google Drive. At the moment Mobirise is in Free Beta and available for Windows and Mac (more platforms coming soon).

Got that too but I can't see any way to use anything but the one parallax responsive template that is, per se, the application. The way this is going, every site on the web will look exactly the same. But I'll play more when I get time.

And frankly, calling the first beta v1.0 is disingenuous to say the least.

Hi Franko:
    You have helped me in the past, and I thank you.
    I need to design a site for a local kiosk on a tablet. The size I would want to make the width of the site is ?

If I limit the width all should work well I'm hoping.

Thank you again,
    Vickie

It seems to me that tablets are now of such a high resolution you can design to the actual width of the tablet involved. The iPad Retina screen is 2048 px wide.