Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not long now to make your web site mobile friendly

pssst Franko, I do.
    I have a second monitor for multiple docs or anything else.
    ~Kitty
    The biz http://ink2art.com
    Giving it away since 1995... http://fullmoongraphics.com

I may have said this before? Regardless, I have been designing websites primarily with WordPress at least for a year. It saddens me because years ago I was so super-duper creative because NOF let me. And now I barely use it.
    - 99.9% of said WP sites are responsive, including my own (finally)!
    Oh forget it. Haha, I was going to mini-rant/complain-sort-of about NOF shortcomings, but what the heck is the difference?

But what I was saying, for me using WP, my creative freedom is squished 'cos I don't know php, databases etc etc. yuk. For a couple of WP sites, I have created a website "cover" in NOF and the rest of their site is in WP. Not too bad. May be lovely but has the troublesome lack of responsiveness.
    So that's that.
    Happy Friday all!

~Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    But what I was saying, for me using WP, my creative freedom is squished 'cos I don't know php, databases etc etc. yuk. For a couple of WP sites, I have created a website "cover" in NOF and the rest of their site is in WP. Not too bad. May be lovely but has the troublesome lack of responsiveness.
    So that's that.
    Happy Friday all!

~Kitty
    NOF does/did make designing pages ridiculously easy, and that part I miss But Wordpress with a few plugins and a little messing about meets most peoples needs.
    I'm sliding towards retirement so don't have any intention of educating myself in the finer points of php, javascript etc (I know a little, but not much) but whilst not being in the super-creative category, WP based websites don't all have to look like a blog - here's a few of mine:
    Car Repair Website
    Carpet Distributor
    Church website
    Car Sales website
    and of course my own site in my sig.

But I would be the first to admit that Wordpress lacks the pixel perfect adjustment that NOF offers - it is relatively easy to modify the page templates but much more time consuming, especially after so many years with Netobjects
    I still have three major sites in Netobjects and will keep them there as long as possible due to the work involved transferring to WP. It would be a great relief if NOF brought out a new responsive version - it would tempt me to stay out of retirement!!

Ken

Yup, definitely miss playing more in NOF. Thank goodness not EVeryone wants to tend to their own sites.
    I'd like to think most of my WP sites are a little bit different also.

~Kitty

@Kitty

Your Full moon graphics website is really nice, don't give it up! I could navigate through it very nicely on my mobile phone. To accommodate for Google's moods you only need to make a small mobile profile and let the browser recognise it on small devices.

I also have a number of WP websites, most of them responsive but somehow - they are not my babies, you know what I mean? I have not created them from scratch myself. They are a little bit aseptic, maybe just too perfect. I prefer other software's like NOF that let me be more creative.

Quote Originally Posted by barbara0701 View Post
    @Kitty
    Your Full moon graphics website is really nice
    I love it also

Quote Originally Posted by barbara0701 View Post
    @Kitty
    To accommodate for Google's moods you only need to make a small mobile profile and let the browser recognise it on small devices.
    how is this done? I've got no clue.

Hi Peter,

Let me get in touch with you on this In the next few days, I'll send you a demo template of a one page easy to use responsive alternative site. But it's not ready yet.

Hi Franko

I see you mention Macaw as being an alternative to NOF! I have been using NOF for several years and have done over 200 Customer sites with it. While I still don't consider knowing everything there is to know about NOF, it has taking me several years, to be able in my mind at least, to produce reasonable sites. As NOF seems not be going anywhere on the responsive front and more and more clients are insisting on mobile friendly sites I need to look at an alternative. I am not a young man and learning something new is not something I relish, but out of necessity I need to do so.

My question is do you really feel that Macaw is the answer and worth going through the learning curve?

I am asking for your advice as I have been following this Forum for many years and have always found your recommendations and advice sound!

Regards
    Warren

IMHO MACAW is a quantum leap in graphically based drag and drop progams. It has great support and some excellent tutorial videos. Although I haven't bought it yet (it's US$179 and I can't justify that as I'm retired now and most of my sites are pro-bono) if I get the requirement for a responsive site from a paying client then I'll buy it like a shot. I've looked through the tutorial and dl'd a fully functional demo (yep they do that) and I'm confident I could be up and running with it, with references back to the documentation, in pretty quick time. And I bet I'm older than you

But I would rather stick with NoF as I've been with it since 1996 and was a beta tester while it was in development. I'm loyal in that way; NoF has given me a living on and off for nearly 20 years and I'm grateful for it. But I do believe the two together, NoF and MACAW can answer 80% of a small site developer's needs.

Thanks for the reply! I see their offering macaw at $79 at the moment!

I agree I would much rather stick with NOF after spending so much time getting to know it. Being a Beta tester don't you have any contacts that can answer the question if and when NOF are likely to introduce some form of Responsive designs?