Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Responsive web design Where are we at?

Default Responsive web design Where are we at?

Responsive web design
    Is it possible that NOF themselves can give us some indication if they are working on this problem and possible time frame so we can all move forward.
    They seem to have gone missing.
    Ken

For what its worth I got this from Steve Raubenstine from NOF last week:-

"Thank you for your message. We're working on the transformation of NOF from pixel-perfect placement to fully responsive as we speak. It'll take a little while to get it right; but we're on it."

I replied and asked if he could give me some idea if it would be this year or when, but so far no answer!

Steve and crew, that is great news!

So in rewriting the program, it will be ported out to a 64 bit version, needless to say? Or by the time it's released why bother putting resources in a 32 bit non-professional program, or right now for that matter? (I'm at work and have my steel toed shoes on so the "hang-ons" can go ahead and hammer.) It won't change the fact that XP and 32 are history, ...... sorry should have said outdated.

Moving forward, go team!
    Donald

I would say not so great news. This is not good enough.

It still needs a reply from Steve Raubenstine with dates. We need an official response and I hope he is not going to claim he is too busy. We are all busy.

Where is the official response?

The fact that were not getting an official response is very worrying! It makes me think that the solution is much farther off than is going to be practical, if there is a solution at all?

I for one, have not upgraded to 2015 as I don't want to waste my time with another revision of NOF that is not worth the trouble. I was very disappointed with the changes in 2013 compared to 2012 and from what I can see reading the comments about 2015 it should have been an update to 2013, not a new release!

If you've ever worked in the IT industry you'd know that statements about application development and progress are not the norm. The industry is incredibly competitve and no company willingly gives intelligence to its competition.

Steve has indicated previously (in fact, for more than a year) that responsive output is an objective and is being worked towards. Do not expect details, just accept that it's as much in the interests of NoF to be at the leading edge of web technologies (as far as is possible with a wysiwyg code generator) as it is for its customers. But it also as much in its interests to ensure that the application works smoothly, easily, effectively and efficiently with as few bugs and as little necessary kludging as possible.

Rest assured when NoF has responsive output it will work and you won't have to jump through hoops to make it work (unlike most of the current crop of wysiwyg code generators that have some form of responsive output).

In the meantime, if responsive is critical to your business, spend some time and money learning html and css (especially css media queries) and you'll be able to create all the responsive sites you want. It'll take you longer than using a one-app-to-do-everything kind of program but it will stand your career in much better stead going forward (assuming you intend to continue creating web sites).
    Last edited by franko; 04-29-2015 at 11:12 PM.

I did work in the IT industry for over 30 years and while I understand that software companies have to keep a certain amount of information close to their chests, I don't think it applies in this case! Were not talking about some new revolutionary development that will make NOF the leader in the game. Were talking about NOF caching up with leaders in a area that they have fallen sadly behind.

For those of us that use NOF to generate an income this is a serious concern to us and I feel that NOF owe us some kind of indication as to IF and WHEN we can expect responsive output!!! Only then can we make a call on whether to find another code generator that does the job, or as Franko suggests spending the time and money learning html and css.

I think I disagree with you about NoF not being a leader. If NoF can implement responsive output in the near future I think it will indeed be a leader in the game as no other app I've looked at and tested has NoF's ease of use in designing functional web sites. Either they limit you to modifying templates, as does Artisteer. Or they require much more work to create a responsive site as than a non-responsive one as does, for example, Xara and wysiwyg web builder. I haven't had a chance to look at Coffee Cup's new Responsive Site Designer but their recommended workflow involves using REsponsive Layout Maker to create the responsive layout first and then export to RSD to finish the design elements. Others, such as macaw and Pinegrow are really graphical rapid development tools for developers and still require a knowledge of JQuery, Javascript, html and css to make the most of them. Great for the first stage of site development but you really have to finish the site and add any interactive elements outside of the application. Not really for NoF's market. If NoF can make responsive output a reality from within its drag and drop interface keeping the ease of use and flexibility of layout then I think they will be the market leader in that market segment - the non technical design-focussed person who just wants a web site without having the necessity to write code in a number of languages to make their web site functional.

RSD is a "stand alone" program but as you stated C.C. does not recommend it without RLM, of course. We cannot see or purchase this [prelease] version unless you own RLM. It's also limited to 20 pages at this time and is not prime time ready as they're asking for suggestions.

Also this will be a bear bones program I'm sure, so you'll need to purchase any add-ons. (From a programming standpoint this is the best way though, certainly easier to make changes and do fixes.) There's no master page/frame or internal site/page manager either.

I have purchased several of the popular programs this past year including some of them mentioned by guru franko. They're no piece of cake. Most of the time you have to set the breakpoints/variants for each and every page unless you want the cookie cutter look. If that's ok you might as well use WP or ToWeb for a small site.

Of the several programs I've tried or purchased NOF is in the top 2 or 3 pending features and ease of use. So if NOF can keep ease of use, as now, in a adaptive/responsive program that would be super. Also we should not expect, or ask to be able to import a project from previous versions. What a waste of time and resources to try and make that work.

So I agree with franko for the most part and hopefully we won't have to wait to long for Mr. R to make good on his statement.
    Kind Regards
    Donald

While I appreciate all the feed back I still pose my original question.
    Responsive web design
    Is it possible that NOF themselves can give us some indication if they are working on this problem and possible time frame so we can all move forward.
    They seem to have gone missing.
    Ken