Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem With Web Fonts

Default Problem With Web Fonts

Every time I publish my site I get the error below at the end. When I press ok, my newly published website opens without any fonts missing so far as I can see. The only change made was installing the update.

ERROR

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Open_Sans\OpenSans-Light.eot could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Open_Sans\OpenSans-Light.svg could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Oswald\Oswald-Bold.eot could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Oswald\Oswald-Bold.svg could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Lato\Lato-BoldItalic.eot could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Lato\Lato-BoldItalic.svg could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Oswald\Oswald-Regular.eot could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Oswald\Oswald-Regular.svg could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Lato\Lato-Regular.eot could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Lato\Lato-Regular.svg could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Open_Sans\OpenSans-SemiboldItalic.eot could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Open_Sans\OpenSans-SemiboldItalic.svg could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Lato\Lato-BlackItalic.eot could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Lato\Lato-BlackItalic.svg could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Open_Sans\OpenSans-Regular.eot could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Open_Sans\OpenSans-Regular.svg could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Open_Sans\OpenSans-BoldItalic.eot could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Open_Sans\OpenSans-BoldItalic.svg could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Open_Sans\OpenSans-Italic.eot could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Open_Sans\OpenSans-Italic.svg could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Open_Sans\OpenSans-Bold.eot could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Open_Sans\OpenSans-Bold.svg could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Open_Sans\OpenSans-LightItalic.eot could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\WebFonts\Open_Sans\OpenSans-LightItalic.svg could not be opened. Please check that the file exists as named.

I am having a similar problem. any web font I use gets that same error.
    there is apparently no place to find exactly what to do with web fonts.

I want a font.
    I copy it into web fonts.
    I, in style, set, say body, to that font from the drop down menu.
    I publish it. that same error message appears.
    Those fonts files are in web font.
    they are in the drop down list.
    they each produce the error message.
    Not one of the fonts is correct.

There should be a clear precise definition of how this does work,
    and what causes the error message.

Does it depend on the html version, the meta tags, or what.
    if I use a web font, why no immediate error message?
    why does fusion not just set what ever it needs set?

Somewhere there should be a set of conditions where web fonts can be used. If a,b,c,d then web fonts will work.
    if it exists, I have no idea who is hiding it.

These two stupid problems have caused problems with the site, and wasted way more than a day, trying to find what is wrong.

Style management is about the same. No clear rules about styles. If 'body' and 'p' are styles, then they should be choices under the style selection. It idea of applying a style and then having to find out where a conflicting style is defined is silly.

This silly problem has my nice web site looking pretty bad.

that makes perfect sense.
    fusion does not always make sense.

I removed some of the fonts I had added to web fonts.
    I added some new ttf fonts to web fonts.
    Restarted fusion several times.

Fusion never noticed the new fonts,
    Did not see that some fonts were removed.
    If they were used in a style, it kept them even if the files were deleted.

What I really need

is the necessary and sufficient conditions for a web font to work.

1- copy it into the web font directory
    2 .ttf font

Does it have to be in my windows font directory too?

Interesting...
    Did you know that fusion keeps a lot of things, like typefaces, in the assets?
    How do you tell fusion to do house keeping?

thomas:

you are a very big help.

when I googled the file types,
    eot seemed for old versions of ie,
    and svg did not seem used for anything.

You seem to have put me very close.

some of the assets have all three, some have only ttf.
    that does not make sense to me.

I will find some three file web fonts,
    and that should prove what you said to be true.

Thanks for your help.

I believe you, and have found several webfont sets. They work.

Why do some sites say webfont, and have only ttf fonts?
    Should ttf only ever work?

I just found this.
    http://www.useragentman.com/blog/the...ont-converter/

A little complicated to install, but pass it a list of ttf files, and it will generate all the other files.
    now any ttf for which you have a license will work for the web.

everyone seem to want to rent webfonts to you and serve them,
    or they are very expensive.

Except

Where to find the right styles?

I am close.

Very interesting-

http://www.webpagepublicity.com/free-fonts-c.html
    onlinefontconverter.com

I have concluded-
    the site styles should be automatic everything, font, color, size.
    that way body, text block should have no style characteristics.

then manage styles, and create the styles you want.
    define color, typeface, and size for that style.
    Select a text block, and set the style to the one you defined.

It usually works. not always.

Fusion, doing this, will sometimes just ignore, for example, the font size define in the style.
    You can pick the text, and add a size for that one block, but then you have to do it every time you use the style.
    that is not a style, it is a style fragment.

You should be able to define a style, and apply it.
    Font, size, color- everything in the style should be applied.
    every single time you use the style.

It is as though when you applied a new site style,
    you had to go page by page and add the font size.

And, even better, when you go to the site in a browser,

what you see bears no predictable relationship to what fusion showed you.
    some pages worked, some did heaven knows what.

I am almost ready to make a web site all pdf pages.
    Acrobat will use the typefaces and colors without confusion and without errors or mystery.

If there is one tiny single problem left in styles by the weekend,
    I will spend next week finding out how to do web pages consistently and properly.

No mysteries or surprises.

this has been days of dancing around
    myriad failures and shortcomings in a product.

As long as fusion defaults to what it wants to do, it is ok.
    when you tell it what to do..."@#$#$%^^&"

You can get ttf free fonts, and convert them online. many many styles available.

Some experimenting-

HTML 5 does strange things.
    The main menu on the home pages disappears.
    The menu on the other pages does not go away.
    htm 4.1 with tables brings it back

The browsers are different.
    Not consistent how they should work with styles.
    Some get defaulted to standard family faces.

Opera does almost everything correctly with styles and fonts.

Chrome does everything well.

Firefox gets lost with some of the typefaces.
    It is up to date.

IE seems pretty good.

I use InDesign to make printed posters and pdf files.
    It is always correct, always consistently logical.

It can output html pages, but without css.