Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is NOF headed?

Default Where is NOF headed?

How about a roadmap of where NOF is headed?

I know this is unusual but a couple of other web design software developers have laid out a map of what's coming and delivered.

Not asking when, just what is coming down the pipe. (So we can plan ahead?!)

Think of some of the advantages such as retaining current customers and potential customers checking back for your new releases and features. So please update the Blog and let's roll forward.

Mr. Raubenstine?

With Respect
    Donald

I vote for it.
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Quote Originally Posted by gl33 View Post
    How about a roadmap of where NOF is headed?

I know this is unusual but a couple of other web design software developers have laid out a map of what's coming and delivered.

Not asking when, just what is coming down the pipe. (So we can plan ahead?!)

Think of some of the advantages such as retaining current customers and potential customers checking back for your new releases and features. So please update the Blog and let's roll forward.

Mr. Raubenstine?

With Respect
    Donald
    Methinks all software makers have a pool of talented users and enthusiasts whom they consult what features to add to the new version, apart from the crowd of regular users' wish list.

We are now in the Stone Age of computer era where progress is made by - among other tactics - keeping secrets on what the next version will include.

People on remote planet Earth which no alien wants to visit anymore have not realized yet that to know (or to wish) is one thing and to be able to do is a totally different thing meaning that software makers openly publishing what the next version will be and when it is going to be released will not enable competitors 100% to add the same features and obtain the same results ...

I personally vote for any ounce and inch of progress because I know that no progress means automatic regress.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

I Agree especially as I am now seeing more and more clients insisting on responsive and Parallax designs, it would be nice to know if its worth waiting for NOF to come to the party or if I need to start learning a new package, not something I look forward too!

I also agree! Especially about the responsive part. Starting April 1st Google no longer recognizes site that are not responsive, they are dropped to the bottom of the rankings and only responsive websites will be ranked high. I know from experience as 3 of my site were dropped after that date. most of my pages were ranked in the top 10 pages prior to this date now they can't be found. It's not worth the money to upgrade now to templates that will be useless in the ranking. NetObjects need to get with the program and get out of the stone age and upgrade their software to current requirements before charging customers for a program that is useless.

This is only when the search is initiated from a mobile device. Searches from desktop computers will continue to be ranked according to content. And if you site isn't designed for mobiles, any visitors coming from a mobile device will probably have a less than satisfactory experience anyway. If mobile visitors are important, then you have two choices: 1. build a separate mobile site and use a selection script to direct the visitor to the correct version or 2. code a responsive web site. The best way to do this is by manually coding it (you can build the basics of the site in NoF if you understand responsive design and then insert the necessary viewport and media query code) or use a program that outputs responsive code (good luck with that one if you don't have any coding knowledge).

Quote Originally Posted by warrenr View Post
    I Agree especially as I am now seeing more and more clients insisting on responsive and Parallax designs, it would be nice to know if its worth waiting for NOF to come to the party or if I need to start learning a new package, not something I look forward too!
    Hello Warren,

Thank you for your input.
    It's for the first time I hear about 'responsive design' and I found an explanation here.

Hello no, where is the web headed to?

Quote Originally Posted by thomcan View Post
    I also agree! Especially about the responsive part. Starting April 1st Google no longer recognizes site that are not responsive, they are dropped to the bottom of the rankings and only responsive websites will be ranked high. I know from experience as 3 of my site were dropped after that date. most of my pages were ranked in the top 10 pages prior to this date now they can't be found. It's not worth the money to upgrade now to templates that will be useless in the ranking. NetObjects need to get with the program and get out of the stone age and upgrade their software to current requirements before charging customers for a program that is useless.
    I could not care less about what Google does or what people with smartphones but no PCs at home want from life. There are more search engines than Google. From 1995 I use Yahoo searches and very rarely do I use Google.
    I bet that in a few years newer and newer search sites will come up anyway, don't you think so?

I am sure NOF management will steer their efforts to accommodate trends in web design, search and Internet surfing and we all shall get something rather than nothing from it.

I recognized the power of the Internet in 1993 before it arrived here where I live, and I am very glad I did not built my hopes, dreams, life and success around sales at my web sites.
    Last edited by Since_v4; 07-14-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    This is only when the search is initiated from a mobile device. Searches from desktop computers will continue to be ranked according to content. And if you site isn't designed for mobiles, any visitors coming from a mobile device will probably have a less than satisfactory experience anyway. If mobile visitors are important, then you have two choices: 1. build a separate mobile site and use a selection script to direct the visitor to the correct version or 2. code a responsive web site. The best way to do this is by manually coding it (you can build the basics of the site in NoF if you understand responsive design and then insert the necessary viewport and media query code) or use a program that outputs responsive code (good luck with that one if you don't have any coding knowledge).
    Hello Franko,

Every summer new waves of graduates come out of school. They will bring innovations and Google will start falling from the top.
    I always bet big on change.
    They say, this century will be the century for programmers.

Guess what, I shall take a course (not more than one!), do my little programming, I shall smile, I shall save my money (not spend it) and continue to use NOF until the very end of it or mine.

Yeah I'm not fretting much either. This is now mainly a hobby for me; most of the sites I do now (and for a while) are pro-bono for churches and para-church organisations. I remember when Altavista (then owned by Digital Research) was the search engine and Google hadn't made an appearance. I also remember when Lynx was the No1 choice in browsers and you could do virtually no design whatsoever for it. Words were everything then.

But the world moves on. For my church clients I mainly use Wordpress as I can do the site and hand it over for them to maintain. I still like NoF but it is rapdily falling behind the leaders, with Coffee Cup today releasing its Responsive Site Designer at the cost of $99. I won't be buying it though; wordpress serves most of my needs now and I like tinkering in Macaw because it's fun.