Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Program Thoughts ???

Ok, so say I put this code within my homepage head tags, would a mobile device with a screenwidth up to768 pixels, be automatically directed to the /mobile page, which I could add as a page to my website?
    Is there any part of what Iv said that I have got wrong?
    Could another bit of code be added to the code that you have given to me that would cater for 2 screen sizes, say an up to 320 screen size, and up to 768 screen size, and then I would add 2 extra new pages on my website, one for small phones and one page for iPads?
    Thanks for being so helpful

That will work ok unless javascript is disabled. It's also a client side script (which is why some people disable js). You can also redirect from the server. This will explain a number of different ways of doing it using various technologies, both client side and server side.

Thanks Franco, I had a look, which one would you use?
    Last edited by mikeconcannon; 01-27-2016 at 12:54 AM.

I use .htaccess and javascript. But then, I'm not trying to make money out of the web and I don't really care if somebody doesn't get directed to the right site version. I don't rely on Google for my business.

Design is a function of two things: experience and imagination. Good design adds taste to these parameters. AI can never compete with human design because although it may eventually be superior in experience - because of its superior memory, it can never exceed a human in imagination and taste, because these parameters are entirely unquantifiable other than by what has gone before - and anybody can do that. Therefore, AI may be of use to those lacking experience, imagination, and taste, but they will never be great designers or, probably, even successful ones. I think this package is a waste of most people's time.

Quote Originally Posted by thosthos View Post
    Design is a function of two things: experience and imagination. Good design adds taste to these parameters. AI can never compete with human design because although it may eventually be superior in experience - because of its superior memory, it can never exceed a human in imagination and taste, because these parameters are entirely unquantifiable other than by what has gone before - and anybody can do that. Therefore, AI may be of use to those lacking experience, imagination, and taste, but they will never be great designers or, probably, even successful ones. I think this package is a waste of most people's time.
    Chatting on these lines: I made US$200,000 in three years (1998 - 2001) designing web sites for a living using NOF and made my several websites which launched my money management career with NOF exclusively except for Ace FreeFTP.
    How come I did not realize I wasted my time?

Re: AI.
    AI is not for replacing humans. It's just a crutch to help in those moments when man needs help. Mind energy does NOT work 24 / 365 and something is always needed to fill in some downtime.

As for experience, imagination, taste and great men of sorts, I say this:

Great men spend time,
    little men waste time.
    Last edited by Since_v4; 05-05-2016 at 02:01 AM.
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

I'd love to see a bit of AI in the new NOF version! ...
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

I'd like to see some sort of integrity checker, so your settings can be checked like : do your links work, etc.
    If you help me I'm Greatful.
    If I help you I'm Pleased

There are plenty of free online apps for checking links as well as most other aspects of web site management. The more external functions are added in to NoF, the longer it will be between iterations and the more bugs there are likely to be in release editions. I'm very much in favour of the reverse: scale NoF down to designing the site; add hooks for external and 3rd party components and concentrate on outputting functional and scalable HTML and CSS responsively.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    There are plenty of free online apps for checking links as well as most other aspects of web site management. The more external functions are added in to NoF, the longer it will be between iterations and the more bugs there are likely to be in release editions. I'm very much in favour of the reverse: scale NoF down to designing the site; add hooks for external and 3rd party components and concentrate on outputting functional and scalable HTML and CSS responsively.
    Imagine how difficult will be for different teams of programmers to communicate among themselves.