Thread: Psychology

Default Psychology

As a psychology major, you will benefit from challenging courses led by outstanding faculty members. You may also work with a faculty mentor and explore a variety of research opportunities in the department. Research is generally divided into the areas of cognitive and neural sciences, clinical-community psychology, school psychology and quantitative psychology. You can work with children, adolescents, adults or animals studying phenomena such as attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, autism spectrum disorder, behavioral interventions, decision-making, drugs of abuse, fetal alcohol syndrome, neurodegenerative diseases, cultural aspects of health, physical activity and other aspects of mental health. In addition, we have opportunities for hands-on clinical experience through internships and community practica.

Psychology seems to many a fascinating science that has its perks. Popular psychological literature sometimes presents psychology as a particular set of secrets and techniques, the knowledge which can make a person successful and happy. And, of course, many people want to influence those around them. I thought the same, and when I got into miami.asa.edu, I realized what power this profession has. Sometimes two words are enough for me to put a person in a stupor and make them think about their life. I think when I graduate, I will understand more and more the intricacies of psychology.