Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: managing a current site

Default managing a current site

I recently took over the management of our Boy Scout troop web site. Although I did not create the site I do have the username and password needed to update it. Can I access the site with this software and how do I get the site into the software? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Steve

Hello Frank and welcome to the NOF world! ...

1). What version do you have?

2). Do you happen to have an older version of NOF which had an add-on with which the web site owner was able to make changes himself? (I forgot what version that was).

3). You may want to purchase the latest version and start making substantial changes to your (old) web site in order to show your group that the person who took over the web site (that's you) comes up with solid plans.

No matter what you do, download the web site (the 'html' and 'assets' folders) in a special folder in your PC, also save it in a secondary folder for back up purpose, and import the html pages into a new web site or just copy and paste the texts in the new pages you create.
    Make sure to download the 'assets' folder because it contains all the pictures in the web site.

How much do you know about NOF?
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Version 13.00.0000.5598
    this my first time to use this type of software. The website was created with Microsoft frontpage. how do I download the website. I am very very inexperienced here just need to get some updates on the site

You can access the hosting server since you say you have username and password.

The hoster may have a download feature in the cPanel or you may get a free FTP software http://www.coffeecup.com/free-ftp/
    With it, you can log into the hoster's server and simply transfer the folders plus the 'index' file straight down into your PC inside a folder you previously created for that purpose.

I also suggest you contact the guy who did the web site to initiate you a bit.

In the meantime, start playing and making mock web sites with your version of NOF for you to get a feel of a web master. You will be amazed of what you can in two weeks from now.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Maybe you will care to post the link to the web site.
    There is no harm in so doing.

sure its is bsatroop868.com

Hi Frank,

1). I am the biggest advocate of simple web sites but yours is too simple even for me.

2). I suggest you upgrade to NOF 2015 right away to save you time in the future.
    There is a special going on where you can upgrade for US$49.

Click on image.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nof.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	2251

3). It will be easy for you to build a new web site. Just play for a few days with your NOF on mock site(s) first and you shall learn quite a lot by yourself.

After that, copy the text from the old web site in the browser and paste it into new pages in NOF in your PC.
    Same for images.

At the http://bsatroop868.com/AdltLdrs.htm page, somehow there are too many pictures of obese adult leaders. What's the meaning of that?

If you feel uneasy with something, save your work, open your mock web site and try to do it there first, NOT on the final web site because if you make mistakes or come across crashes, it's OK if they happen on the test web site but not OK if you damage your entire work on the real web site.

4). If you have urgent news to communicate with the members, send them e-mails and tell them you are working on a new, surprise web site for them.
    Never do anything without letting the other (important) members know about your activity.

5). You have until Monday to begin the new web site.
    Let us know how you are progressing.

And one more thing: do not do anything which will appear to you as being easy. There are many traps ahead of you ...
    Ask your question(s) here first, and do it in your PC secondly.

I say this because beginners tend to do things their way only to waste time and be forced to end up learning.

It's better to be humble first and triumphant later instead of bold in the beginning and then humbled by the bad experience...

Two things. 1. Read the documentation before you start. 2. You can use HTTRack (google it) or a similar program to download the web site to your local hard drive so you have all the required assets to rebuild the site (easier than ftp and it downloads it in the site structure).

You will have to rebuild the site. There is no way to import an html site and create an NoF database from it.

Quote Originally Posted by sfrank67 View Post
    I recently took over the management of our Boy Scout troop web site. Although I did not create the site I do have the username and password needed to update it. Can I access the site with this software and how do I get the site into the software? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sfrank67 View Post
    sure its is bsatroop868.com
    Do you want to make over the entire site or just update certain areas of it?
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz