Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I change an HREF TargetName

Most of your page names have spaces in them. Not a good idea. And can lead to a problem like you're experiencing.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

I've seen it happen in earlier versions of Fusion where renaming a page to remove spaces from the page name after the page has been published with spaces can lead to the page name being generated with the -1 as if it's a duplicate.

The solution is to recreate the page from scratch with a new name. Copy the content from the original page to the new page. Delete the original page and then rename the new page to the name of the page you just deleted. I'd recommend re-optimizing the site before and after renaming the new page.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

El Crappo..... That's the only Spanish I know. However if that's what's it then that's a solution. Somewhere, somehow, that OLD page's name exists somewhere. I believe that if I can find that "somewhere" then it can be fixed....

But between now and the end of next week I will have and take the time to fix all those names.

Chuck:

I heard from the NO tech support folks. They provided me a strategy whereby I can change the names of the objects from within the Assets folders. I found a whole bunch that I was able to change, but upon generation, that clearly was not the whole answer. Some of the changed names generated the "correctly-named" HTML names and others did not.

hmmm

So, I have reposted the Template Zip file in it regenerated form, and have sent the NO folks that their suggestion did not work 100%.

Again the "bad old names" have to be lurking around somewhere. Just gotta find 'em.

They're lurking in the nod file.. which is a database.

Deleting the "bad" pages is the only way to get rid of them, using the procedure I posted here and emailed to you.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    Tutorials and Forums

Chuck. I opened the NOD file with UltraEdit and was able to find those mis-named strings, but for sure felt very uneasy about attempting to adjust their values. I have another email to the NOFolks with a very specific example. One of the examples I was harping about yesterday magically fixed itself. So. I tried to run various scenarios that might cause the software to wake up and make the change. I was unable to get any of my scenarios to work, however.

Your strategy appears likely to work and I will try it. Too bad I have a whole lot of pages with spaces in the names.... I do intend to remove all the spaces, then look for the duplicates and delete them. I suspect that I'll have more of those HREF problems too.

Hopefully the NO folks can give me a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckj View Post
    The solution is to recreate the page from scratch with a new name. Copy the content from the original page to the new page. Delete the original page and then rename the new page to the name of the page you just deleted. I'd recommend re-optimizing the site before and after renaming the new page.
    Hi Chuck,

I wanted to post the same suggestion, yesterday but you were faster than me.

I use the same approach: I never correct something bad. I create something new instead, as follows:

• Create a new page

• Create a new MasterBorder with a new name based on the DefaultMasterBorder
    • Copy the text & images & anything else from the old page

• Paste them into the new page

• Delete the old page

• Delete the old MasterBorder from the 'Edit MasterBorder List'.
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Quote Originally Posted by mmgorman View Post
    Your strategy appears likely to work and I will try it. Too bad I have a whole lot of pages with spaces in the names.... I do intend to remove all the spaces, then look for the duplicates and delete them. I suspect that I'll have more of those HREF problems too.

Hopefully the NO folks can give me a better solution.
    Hi there,

I use "spaces" since NOF v4 from 1998 as follows:

tuition_application.html
    class_1.html
    class_2.html
    student_pic.html

etc., etc.

and never had any problems which mmgorman has.
    It is also true I use NOF 2013, not NOF 2015 like mmgorman.
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

This issue has been around for a long time. And it's not consistent.

If you use spaces and don't rename, it's not a problem.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    Tutorials and Forums

Chuck....

I agree with both your comments above. Having spent the better part of 50 years designing and building business information systems, this is clearly an edge case. There is some process deep inside NO that does not recognize that when a name is changed that everything related to that name, such as the HREF, has to change as well.

That said, I got a response back from NO this morning. They either clearly do not understand or they don't really read my 21 step email that proves the bug, or their elevator stops many floors before the top of the building.

The solution you suggested works 100% of the time.

1. Make a new page at the same level as the BadHREF page. Make its Name to be the GOOD name.
    2. Go to the BadHREF page and do a Select All.
    3. Go to the new page and paste everything into it.
    4. If the BadHREF page has "children" then drag the children down, one by one, starting with the most bottom to the GoodNamePage. This way, going from bottom up, and then dragging it down, you will replicate the children into the same order.
    5. Delete the BadHREF page.
    6. If the BadHREF page was linked-to from another page, THAT link is now BROKEN.
    7. Reestablish the links to the GoodNamePage