Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: It's Goodbye NOF from me...

If NOF had been supportive of its clients I would agree, but the lack of overall support from NOF is shocking. I make my livelihood from doing websites, its not just a hobby! I need the tools to support my clients and when your major supplier just ignores all the requests for information regarding such a key element as responsive design I can understand what drove Thomas to do what he did!

Franko you in fact were the first to bring up the subject on the Forum when Google announced that they were going to downgrade sites that were not mobile friendly! How long ago was that? To date the run of the mill members such as myself have not had an answer from NOF. Maybe a few insiders such as yourself and Mike may be privy to more information covered by a NDA but the rest of us have been screaming for an update from NOF for months. But what have NOF done? Remained absolutely silent! There has been a vague statement that they are working on it for the next release, but no indication of when that is likely to be, yet they continually send out emails trying to get people that have not upgraded to 2015 to do so. Why would anyone want to upgrade to a lame duck product? Especially as there are better products out there at a much better price.

I think the only reason many more of the NOF faithful have not made a change is that like me they have invested a lot of time and energy learning NOF and dread the thought of learning something new. Well I for one took the plunge and found out that learning a new product that has the online Video Tutorials, User Manuel’s and what appears to be an active support department, a piece of cake! I’am over 60 so learning new things does not come easily.

Thomas was trying to help the people on the forum find an answer to a question that NOF was unwilling or unable to answer! Yes promoting an alternative product on the NOF forum is unethical under normal circumstances, but when the frustration levels are as high as they are I for one feel it was justified!

You should have experienced the exodus when Fusion 5 was released.

NretO lost fully 90% of their customer base, to the point that most of the copies of Fusion MX were GIVEN away to try to get the customers back.

This was the same major change that responsive design is. Fusion 5 supported CSS Fusion 4 did not (you can still find my hack of Fusion 4 to add CSS calls using codetweaker if you look hard enough).

I think they learned from that blunder as it put the company into bankruptcy. That was the start of gotFusion. GF was started to support customers of a product that was going away. Originally gotFusion was envisioned to be a "self running" set of tutorials, hacks, and work arounds so that users of the product could continue with a piece of software that no longer had an owner.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

You think they would learn!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by warrenr View Post
    You think they would learn!!!!!!!
    I think they did

I have not seen a wonky product with as many issues as version 5 had back in 2000.

The folks in the beta program begged them NOT to release Fusion 5 but their financial obligations (read IBM) made the decision for them.

You can't sleep with the elephant and expect NOT to be squashed when it rolls over.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

But what about their total lack of respect for their current clients? Surely after all the posts on the various threads they should have said something with regard to when and if responsive design is going to be available! Its not as if its just a minor bug! More and more people are using smartphones to access the internet. PC sales have dropped worldwide and Smartphone sales are going through the roof. Even in a country like South Africa the people that live in shanty towns have a smartphone and seem to have airtime or Wi-Fi! What is even more irritating is that I keep getting emails from Steve about the discounted upgrade price for 2015. Who in their right mind is going to spend money on a product that doesn’t address 90% of the end-users requirements?

it's just common policy of ANY software company to NOT announce new products (at least not in detail) when the current release is on sale. can you imagine why?

I am tired of all this whining about "responsive web design" here. I wonder how NETO will do it anyways with their small resources. I still think they bought the photo application for this purpose. (what else for?) it will take time to adopt the technology. And given the current design of NOF, whose big point is pixel level control of design, I can only expect "responsive NOF" as a total different application, which has no compatibility for existing projects. -

Moreover, I don't see much real "responsive design" out there on the Web anyways. Most sites now are totally designed for mobile use and look ugly on a desktop screen.

I have to disagree with your comment about most sites being designed for only for mobile use! Most site I see and most sites that my clients refer me to that they would like their new site to be like are responsive!

my clients refer me to that they would like their new site to be like are responsive!
    It's not only they like to, they MUST have a (very good) responsive website if they want to stay in business. The irony of it all is that responsive websites on smartphones are all practically identical whereas the creative design for desktop sites is strongly limited due to technical requirements. The problem has been created by the nice search engine with unlimited powers in the internet. Maybe they own stakes in big webdesign agencies who now get a lot of work to do.

Would NOF care about customers it would have offered templates that are not responsive but nevertheless pass the mobile friendly test. I mean, there are even relatively easy interim solutions. Instead if you look at the mobile assistent in NOF 2015 you find it completely obsolete. Professional and semiprofessional users can make a responsive NOF-Website with NOF 2015 but it's time consuming.
    Last edited by barbara0701; 01-17-2016 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    You can't sleep with the elephant and expect NOT to be squashed when it rolls over.
    This is similar to sleeping with bitches and expecting NOT to wake up with fleas ....
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.