Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Goodbye NOF from me...

Default It's Goodbye NOF from me...

I visit this forum every day, just to see what's going on and importantly to see if NOF has finally got around to a major update to bring it up to the most current requirements - responsiveness.

The last few new versions have seemed to be little more than updates. My last working websites were built in NOF11, even though I bought later versions. My website portfolio is fairly small now, but overall still achieves about 12,000 visits per day across all sites.

Windows 7 is the most commonly used OS (42%), followed by iOS (32%), then Android (21%) - older Win versions etc make up the rest
    67% of visitors use a tablet or mobile device of some type. (One motor trade site bends this average greatly - 88% come from mobile/small screen resolutions!! )
    Most common screen resolution is 1280x768, but ranges from 360 to 1900 with surprisingly little differences in the ratios. Probably down to the massive range of devices available today.

Due to needing to cater for such a wide range of screen resolutions, I opted for Wordpress as my platform of choice - I know it wasn't everyone's favourite, but it is updated regularly, bugs get fixed, and the range of free and paid plugins means almost any task is possible. I know Franko expressed concerns that Wordpress sites were easily identified - this is/was true for many sites, but the range of customisable responsive templates now available plus the option to build custom templates means that virtually any type of website or customer can be accommodated.

Fusion has served me excellently for years, and I particularly liked its whole-site management and page design functions. Sadly these alone aren't enough to keep pace with modern requirements, and I honestly think the Netobjects team are being disrespectful to their customer base by expecting users to continue paying for 'new' versions which they know full well are just mildly reworked. To be blunt, I think their marketing emails are little more than attempts to squeeze every last cent/penny out of a once great but now obsolete product.

And of course if it wasn't for the knowledgeable regular contributors (you know who you are ) many purchasers of the software would have been left high and dry without any other means of help and support.

My last NOF website has now been replaced with a responsive Wordpress version, and unless Netobjects comes up with a genuinely NEW version, I won't be parting with any more cash.

-

I think Ken Sums up how most of us feel! NOF was great but it hasn't moved with the times and the management at NOF refuse to communicate with their customers!

Quote Originally Posted by Trimdoner View Post
    unless Netobjects comes up with a genuinely NEW version, I won't be parting with any more cash.
    -
    Past habits with 'new' releases means no trial version will be made available. No video tutorials or reviews either. You'll have to part with your cash to actually see or experience it.

Quite a gamble these days when customers prefer the try before you buy approach when evaluating software, and everyone doing it. I think only 'fans' will buy NOF's new version while others will do their evaluating through the forum comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Ape View Post
    Past habits with 'new' releases means no trial version will be made available. No video tutorials or reviews either. You'll have to part with your cash to actually see or experience it.

Quite a gamble these days when customers prefer the try before you buy approach when evaluating software, and everyone doing it. I think only 'fans' will buy NOF's new version while others will do their evaluating through the forum comments.
    Hi there,

NOF is in business for more than 20 years.
    If somebody checks the domain name he will see that it has been registered on 01-dec-1995 which is enough proof of successful business longevity.

NOF is addressing mature, computer literate persons who do not have to be babysat with colourful ads, twisted words, flashy videos and improvised testimonials so they buy the software.

This forum is not 100% representative of NOF, and never was.

There are many ancillary web sites which service thousands of NOF customers, many books, Wikipedia, etc. which speak of the NOF influence on WYSIWYG web site building over the years.

Everybody has his opinion, everybody is free to speak his mind out and also to stay or leave.

I stay.
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

The real question is what will be the future of the web and content on it.

Mobile devices are morphing. Phones are getting larger and more "computer like"

Is there going to be a need for more than a cell phone screen's worth of content or will there be any meaningful "content" at all in the future?

Monster sales sites like Amazon are gobbling up the lions share of ecommerce. What little is left will be done via social media pages (buy my hand made dog leashes).
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Quote Originally Posted by Since_v4 View Post
    Hi there,

NOF is in business for more than 20 years.
    If somebody checks the domain name he will see that it has been registered on 01-dec-1995 which is enough proof of successful business longevity.

NOF is addressing mature, computer literate persons who do not have to be babysat with colourful ads, twisted words, flashy videos and improvised testimonials so they buy the software.

This forum is not 100% representative of NOF, and never was.

There are many ancillary web sites which service thousands of NOF customers, many books, Wikipedia, etc. which speak of the NOF influence on WYSIWYG web site building over the years.

Everybody has his opinion, everybody is free to speak his mind out and also to stay or leave.

I stay.
    Pardon me!
    What I wanted to say is:

I stay but shall not buy the next version because I need not the kind of guys with smartphones but no PC at my personal web sites. Period.

I put a note on the front page at my web sites saying that they are not modified for mobile usage.

I get a steady flow of 30 new visitors every day since 2002, which is fine with me.
    I do not make a living from sales at my web sites but I am happy to see somebody contacting me.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    The real question is what will be the future of the web and content on it.

Mobile devices are morphing. Phones are getting larger and more "computer like"

Is there going to be a need for more than a cell phone screen's worth of content or will there be any meaningful "content" at all in the future?

Monster sales sites like Amazon are gobbling up the lions share of ecommerce. What little is left will be done via social media pages (buy my hand made dog leashes).
    Hello Mike,

You are correct.
    Whatever the trend will be, software makers like NOF will try - sooner or later - to accommodate public demand.

If you remember, the Internet evolved first from Arpanet, a military network.
    Then the scientists came into the cyber-space with TelNet.
    It all changed.
    Now it's all kind of people who cannot sell anything in real life, who have no real say in anything but quickly put up a web site thinking surfers have nowhere to spend their money other than on the handmade dog leash (like you said) from Nepal.

Here where I live, people cannot even speak English well because of mental retardation, far less be able to use the Internet like I do, for something original.
    There are web sites with 'under construction' notices for the past 5-8 years.
    Apart from real estate and hotel web sites there is nothing of value in the islands: pure garbage. And then I must make illusions that the local web site owners who are also web surfers will buy from my web sites, yeah, right ...

I believe the Internet will be mature in 2050 by which date I shall be 98 of age and maybe gone.

I ran a search for 'how many web sites are out there', and here is a ball park figure:

As of Janaury 2014 there are around 861,379,000 registered host names, which is an increase of around 350,000 compared to December 2013. as shown at
    http://www.techmadeeasy.co.uk/2014/0...-january-2014/

If you divide 861,379,000 by 60 minutes you get 14,356,316 hours, you will need 478,543 months to surf the Net 1 hour/day.
    That's 39,878 years of surfing 1 hour / day.
    The futility starts sinking in: the big guys get all the business, the 'medium' guys get some business and the small guys get ... chu-chu.

The better question is: how many web sites have been cancelled and their domain names thrashed?
    (As for me, since 1997 I thrashed about a dozen domain names, I keep six active and deleted two web sites. I am marching with four now which will stay on for a looooong time).

I do not have social media account(s). I have a Twitter account which I found does not help me at all.

In the meantime, I use NOF the way I see fit and keep cool without panicking. Things will change, I too changed tremendously and now it's not the time to stop.

I personally do not know what I would be doing now here with nobody serious to talk to and without the Net which puts me in contact with great people of my interests from abroad.

Thank you for the dialogue!

My figures must be re-calculated but the conclusion still stands.

See article at http://www.techmadeeasy.co.uk/2015/0...e-in-may-2015/

I wonder: from the 177,000,000 active web sites, how many are made with NOF?

What little is left will be done via social media pages (buy my hand made dog leashes).
    Sounds great, Mike! Can you send me a catalog?

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Sounds great, Mike! Can you send me a catalog?
    Hey.... Friend me and follow me dude....... Then you will be on my permanent, never to be removed, social medial spaming list
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz