Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: It's Goodbye NOF from me...

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Ape View Post
    It is tiresome but I expect that request to fall on deaf eyes.
    Understand that Fusion is a very complex database software that generates executable code as it's "report" basted on X/Y onscreen user input.

Re-writing that database engine to generate different code is a little more complex than what would be necessary on a simple text editor.

Moving away from set positioning to variable everything might even take a complete rewrite of all of the modules within the software. Taking a wild guess I would say this could be as high as 200k lines of code, all of which needs not only to be re-written but debugged even BEFORE it can get to a beta release.

In my years of programming experience I've found that the simpler something is to "operate" the more complex the underlying code needs to be. It does not get much simpler to operate than the NetObjets Fusion drag and drop, move and plop GUI
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Quote Originally Posted by Since_v4 View Post
    All people who want to leave NOF, please leave without fanfare! ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy9_lfjQopU

(hint, from the sound of music)

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    Understand that Fusion is a very complex database software that generates executable code as it's "report" basted on X/Y onscreen user input.

Re-writing that database engine to generate different code is a little more complex than what would be necessary on a simple text editor.

Moving away from set positioning to variable everything might even take a complete rewrite of all of the modules within the software. Taking a wild guess I would say this could be as high as 200k lines of code, all of which needs not only to be re-written but debugged even BEFORE it can get to a beta release.

In my years of programming experience I've found that the simpler something is to "operate" the more complex the underlying code needs to be. It does not get much simpler to operate than the NetObjets Fusion drag and drop, move and plop GUI
    Understandably so Mike but I don't know why my quote was on this, given it's reference. Perhaps thanks for getting this here without the large fonts?

Regarding it being a big job, anyone creating a product for the masses better be ready to put the time and effort in, and more importantly stay ahead (or at least keep pace) of that game or you will get passed.

I'll agree with you and I am a fan of NOF's drag and drop, move and plop, especially in Site view where all the buttons, navigation and meta-tagging are respectively generated automatically. I think it's these features that people come back here to 'goad' NOF on. I started with version 2 - a whopping $900 bucks at that time and there was nothing like it on the market. For years it was the best. It's like knowing a kid in it's adolescence being at the top it's class with so much potential then later wondering what happened in it's maturity.

You know what I call the current NOF bashing?
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=what+...K8Ly-AHUt4KQBw

Hello Ken
    I share your frustrations as I ran into similar problems. In fact, more than one year ago, I chose the same approach as you did: I quit but I am watching regularly and I will come back IF AND ONLY IF Netobjects support takes support requests seriously. Besides the lack of significant responsiveness, there is a comical situation whereby every time someone complains, a small number of gate watchers run within fifteen minutes towards the complainer like the Geese of the Capitoline Hill. I wonder whether they ever sleep. Instead of supporting improvement requests, the Geese blame the complainer and apparently, Netobjects support listen to the Geese!!!
    And you are right, one is asked to pay for an "upgrade" which in fact is a largely a "maintenance release' (bugs, performance fixes, stability).
    Yes Netobjects started on the right foot; I am waiting for the other foot.
    Best regards

For what its worth I completely agree with what LEVENDEL says especially with regard to NOF's disregard to issues raised and the Geese that seem to be NOF's spin doctors!

Quote Originally Posted by Levendel
    I quit but I am watching regularly and I will come back IF AND ONLY IF Netobjects support takes support requests seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by warrenr View Post
    For what its worth I completely agree with what LEVENDEL says especially with regard to NOF's disregard to issues raised and the Geese that seem to be NOF's spin doctors!
    I still watch, but sadly everyone is still waiting...........

Speculation is always rife because those who know, as in all areas of industry, have signed non-disclosure agreements. For me, NoF is still qualitatively different from all other editors as it really is a site manager rather than a page builder. For me it is still ahead of all other competing programs (by all means use a page builder or a text editor - as I often do - to manage your sites but you won't find any with the ease of use and time-saving structure as had NoF). Yes, lack of responsiveness is an issue, but with planning using NoF to create a site and then manually editing your media queries is still a highly efficient way of building a site.

Honk...honk...honk...honk...

Sad, but check out http://trends.builtwith.com/cms/NetObjects-Fusion and see what happened between August and October this year with NOF.

The complete vacuum of response, together with the pressures of both plummeting site visitors and financial services compliance pressures around new legislation and our change of status to accommodate further growth has led me spend three days over Christmas evaluating alternatives - I should have done it earlier (but really wanted NOF to find teh solution) !!

I followed Bluesman's suggestions as to an alternate provider - and (like Warrenr's experience) have found the online self training, general support and the actual functionality a street ahead of NOF.

I am planning a further 3 day session over the next 'holiday weekend' and would expect to have the first site ready (or close to - and the main delay will be new graphics rather than the site structure) for submission to compliance after that. Not bad for a largish site, my first effort @ responsive, several response forms and a 'from scratch' learning cycle.

I am already receiving updates on the plans for next version release (some nice ideas in there).

I really feel that - leaving aside apparently missing the trick on responsive - NOF have committed some cardinal sins in their communications with their users over the last 6 - 12 months.

I will be amazed if their eventual response is strong enough (or in time - why rebuild the sites I have just rebuilt in another system, which would be a c 3 man week commitment) to bring me back in the fold.

I will miss the excellent support of Mike (Turtle) but will continue hosting my current sites with him.

SH*T I thought - just spent a great percentage of my Christmas familiarising myself with new software (to obtain better functionality) and sat here at 10 o'clock on New Year's Eve working on replacement for site 1 of 5 and ....

None of it was necessary, because NOF were here to save the day after all:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOF.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	2328

Guess what, young Steve obviously mistyped it - he meant 2015 !!!!!!!!!!

There is 'taking the piss' and 'really taking the piss' - this is the latter (and I have now hit the unsubscribe button).

This compares with my new provider who state (to new subscribers for their already responsive and very impressive software) that "Special offer: If you buy version 10 today you will get version 11 for free when it becomes available! This offer is also valid for all licenses purchased within 60 days before the official release date."