Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does any of you use NOF ...

Default Does any of you use NOF ...

... on Linux or similar OSs?
    How does it work?

PS: I ran searches here at this forum and found talks about MACs and Unix as early as April this year.

Is there any rumour now about NOF running on Linux?
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Why do software manufacturers not make the effort to get their product work on other OSs than Windows / MACs?

I would not mind paying extra to buy NOF working well on Linux or the likes.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
    Good Point!! I agree.
    Hi Thom,

Do you use NOF on Linux?
    (I bet not because you would have told us by now, but I want to double check).

What can you and I do to get software manufacturers make their product on Linux?
    (There are many software manufacturers who make versions for Windows and MACs already.
    What must happen, or who is the guy to make them also come up with Linux versions?)

NoF is not compiled for Mac/Unix/Linux (all the same thing at core) although I'm astonished at NoF's ignoring such a lucrative market, although NoF will run in a virtual machine under parallels or vmware (I run a lot of apps in vmware on mac without any problems with any of them and my i3 iMac is faster running them than my i7 quad-core notebook with windows 10!)

I raised a thread on this about 3 or 4 years ago (or maybe earlier still - right after the new management took over from WSP) and I was given to understand at that time that they were working on a Mac compile. I guess it's like responsive output and a content management system - they're be here for the new millennium. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    NoF is not compiled for Mac/Unix/Linux (all the same thing at core) although I'm astonished at NoF's ignoring such a lucrative market, although NoF will run in a virtual machine under parallels or vmware (I run a lot of apps in vmware on mac without any problems with any of them and my i3 iMac is faster running them than my i7 quad-core notebook with windows 10!)

I raised a thread on this about 3 or 4 years ago (or maybe earlier still - right after the new management took over from WSP) and I was given to understand at that time that they were working on a Mac compile. I guess it's like responsive output and a content management system - they're be here for the new millennium. Maybe.
    Frank,

Your input is astonishing.
    I am highly interested to switch to Linux, just like in 2003 when I wanted to switch to MAC because of Windows problems but in the end I did not.

The difference between now and then is that enough time has passed to make heads turn to alternative OSs, more great programmers exist now than 10+ years ago, and that Linux has been proven 100% to be the choice for servers.

My limited computer knowledge does not allow me to understand why everything works flawlessly on Linux servers but not on Linux PCs.
    With Windows 10 invading everybody's privacy I believe crowds of PC users will switch to other OSs.

Why then should software makers not adjust their products to Lunix compliance/functionality and grab a market share for which they do not even have to spend advertising dollars?

I, for one, if I have to buy a server with Linux on it just to get rid of Win 10, then I shall buy it.
    But will (future versions of) NOF work on it?

PS: here where I live I do not know anybody I can ask questions like this.

For many years my web sites ran on a Solaris server. I migrated them earlier this year to a Linux server. For personal use I'm mainly using an iMac bought second hand from my wife's employer for $100 plus $60 for Vmware virtual machine to run all my windows apps under win 7.

My notebook was the most powerful I could get at the time (2010) but it is getting very slow running certain applications now. My next notebook will be an Apple, though, probably a Macbook Air. Mac OS is essentially a graphical interface for FreeBSD, (which stands for the Free version of the Berkeley Systems Division port of Unix) one of the first and most stable of the many Unix variants. That's why Macs are so much more stable, easier to use and much faster than windoze machines. They're UNIX, an OS that now has 50 years of development behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    For many years my web sites ran on a Solaris server. I migrated them earlier this year to a Linux server. For personal use I'm mainly using an iMac bought second hand from my wife's employer for $100 plus $60 for Vmware virtual machine to run all my windows apps under win 7.

My notebook was the most powerful I could get at the time (2010) but it is getting very slow running certain applications now. My next notebook will be an Apple, though, probably a Macbook Air. Mac OS is essentially a graphical interface for FreeBSD, (which stands for the Free version of the Berkeley Systems Division port of Unix) one of the first and most stable of the many Unix variants. That's why Macs are so much more stable, easier to use and much faster than windoze machines. They're UNIX, an OS that now has 50 years of development behind it.
    Hi Frank,

I hosted most of the web sites I made for a living on UNIX cPanel.
    I host all my four web sites on UNIX cPanel since 2002, and a few months ago I found a hoster who offers

1 GB Disk Space
    10 GB Bandwidth
    1 Hosted Domain
    10 Sub Domains
    5 Email Accounts with unlimited forwarders
    2 FTP Accounts
    1 MySQL Database
    UNIX cPanel

all of which is more than enough for me, for US$9 / 3 (three) years.

My problem is not the hoster.
    My problem is that I want to escape the grip of Windows by adopting Linux on a new workstation but somehow I wish - maybe like many other PC users - not to have to deal with emulator software in order to get Windows softwares to work on it.

Perhaps I shall have to ask for advice in Linux forums.

Initially, I planned on buying three new PCs with Win 10 in January 2016, but after what I read every day about Win 10 I realize I must mobilize myself against Windows dominance.

I have read that Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition has a low learning curve, which is music to my ears.
    http://www.linuxmint.com/
    Last edited by Since_v4; 08-18-2015 at 02:39 AM.

You may want to look at "Quick'n Easy Web Builder". It's a cross platform program that includes Mac and Linux.
    Kind Regards
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by gl33 View Post
    You may want to look at "Quick'n Easy Web Builder". It's a cross platform program that includes Mac and Linux.
    Thanks for input.
    I searched for my reading pleasure (not for me to quit NOF) and found out it works on Windows, MAC AND Linux.

Now, how the heck can a software maker come up with a product which works across unrelated platforms and other software makers stick blindly only to Windows?

What is going on?

Here Donald I am in the same hole for which I blame other fusionists: I do not want to leave NOF and begin using other html editors, I dare to want NOF makers to adapt it for Linux too.

Do I ask too much?

How much will it cost to have NOF work on Linux?

Making a product that works across Mac, Linux and all other *nix variants is relatively trivial. Making one that works on those and windows is much more work as windows is so vastly different from a computing perspective than is unix.