Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am starting to regret upgrading to NOF 2015

[QUOTE=Try this:

- start NOF 2015
    - go to 'File' --> 'Open File' --> choose the old .nod file in NOF 11
    - you will get a message that the web site has been created with an older version and a question: do you want to open a copy of the old web site instead?
    - click 'yes'.
    - NOF 2015 will create a 'copy xyz' folder and open the renamed old web site. (Your old web site will still remain under the NOF11 folder, so do not worry about it).
    - publish it in NOF 2015.
    - save and close NOF 2015.

If it works well, I shall tell you why I gave you this advice.[/QUOTE]

Still getting the same error message and crashing!

Time to give up on NOF 2015

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    Did you go through the steps in the tutorial BEFORE you exported?

Verify assets?
    Delete unused assets?
    Run the re-optimize function

THEN

Export?
    I did go through and delete unused assets - I do this periodically, just to speed up the program.

On the other hand, with all of the issues I have read about from people using the Re-Optimize feature here in the Forum, I am afraid that it will corrupt the Working Version I have.

I think it is time to look for a different software package. I looked at that 4D Site Designer, but it is too expensive.

Maybe the answer is just stick with NOF 11 until I can find something that works (without jumping through hoops) - This is so frustrating. It seems that a lot of people had similar issues when upgrading to NOF 2013.

I honestly do not know what the answer is. I am afraid of corrupting the working file if I mess with it too much.

To be safe you should follow the following procedure. In old version:

1. verify all assets delete unused assets (you're already doing this it seems)
    2. Export template
    3. In new version, new site from template. Open template, save site. By default it will be in the new version user sites. I don't use the default but have a remote dedicated drive for my client sites so I have to choose a different name for the new site. Makes no difference.
    4. Open site and check to see if anything obvious has happened. Local Publish and check each page to make sure ok. Correct anything that's wrong.
    5. Export a template from the new site. (You should export a template whenever you make any major changes to your site.)
    6. Rinse and repeat for as many versions as you wish.

This way if something happens in the migration process you have previous version sites to return to. Above all, never, never, never, never, never, never open a site .nod databse in a new version; always migrate through the template export/import process or you could snafu everything and have to rebuild from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
    Hi, in this post you write that you migrated the page to NOF 2013, thought you migrated directly from NOF 11. For my own experience there can be some issues when migrate the NOF sites directly from a several version old site. I have Always upgraded NOF to latest version and then never had problem with migrating sites.
    If the 11 version is ok without issues, can be a good try to migrate it throug the versions 12, 2013 and 2015... ?
    Regards Thomas
    I did not migrate to NOF 2013 - I said I read about others who had issues with migrating to NOF 2013. The version of NOF 2013 I had was on a different computer that crashed and I never re-installed it.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    To be safe you should follow the following procedure. In old version:

1. verify all assets delete unused assets (you're already doing this it seems)
    2. Export template
    3. In new version, new site from template. Open template, save site. By default it will be in the new version user sites. I don't use the default but have a remote dedicated drive for my client sites so I have to choose a different name for the new site. Makes no difference.
    4. Open site and check to see if anything obvious has happened. Local Publish and check each page to make sure ok. Correct anything that's wrong.
    5. Export a template from the new site. (You should export a template whenever you make any major changes to your site.)
    6. Rinse and repeat for as many versions as you wish.

This way if something happens in the migration process you have previous version sites to return to. Above all, never, never, never, never, never, never open a site .nod databse in a new version; always migrate through the template export/import process or you could snafu everything and have to rebuild from scratch.
    Thanks, Franko - I will give this another try and let you know the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Einsam View Post
    On the other hand, with all of the issues I have read about from people using the Re-Optimize feature here in the Forum, I am afraid that it will corrupt the Working Version I have.
    The re-optimize is a database clean up program. Fusion is a database program. You have a corrupted data file (nod file).

Re-optimize makes a backup of your original data file before performing the data base clean up routine

Read the tutorial on re-optimize. Run it. Problem solved.

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4089

It is always best to make sure you have fuel in your car before you decide you need a new car when your old one does not start.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

............. It is always best to make sure you have fuel in your car before you decide you need a new car when your old one does not start.
    Well, well, well, isn't it nice?
    Mike is back in full force.
    'Fuel in the car' is the kind of logic I want to see from each and every NOFist, fusioner and fusionist.

A few days ago I've got the fleeting feeling that you succumbed to public apathy, forum boring routines and widespread NOF software fatigue but I knew it all was a temporary metabolism imbalance due to a brief lack of vitamins in your diet.

Mike, here is a free piece of advice from someone much older than you and who already left designing web sites for people behind long time ago: me.
    When you deal with crowds (these days called 'cyber-crowds' such as public forums) never take the bait of what they say or do.

The crowd is always wrong!
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

The re-optimize is a database clean up program. Fusion is a database program. You have a corrupted data file (nod file).

Re-optimize makes a backup of your original data file before performing the data base clean up routine

Read the tutorial on re-optimize. Run it. Problem solved.

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4089
    I am going through each page and do not see any obvious errors or graphic problems.

Each page seems to load fine and there are no issues in the NOF 11 version when publishing.

What else should I look for?

Franko,

I find it interesting that when I re-installed NOF 2013 and opened the Template in that version and saved, then exported a new Template and opened that Template in NOF 2015, it worked (local publish with no issues).

Any idea why the difference?

Probably because that's the recommended method for transferring sites between versions (or indeed, between computers not on a network together). A template export gathers all the files in the site together in one zip file. When it's opened all the files are there with paths relative to the site root. When you just open a nod file in a different version, NoF has to look for the required files wherever they originally were, which is in the earlier version site folder. If that changes in any way then the paths are corrupted. It's the easiest way to snafu a site, especially a site that's had legs over many years which usually means many different computers. Exporting and importing templates is the only safe way to move a site.