Thread: Problem with NOF 2015 Templates

Default Problem with NOF 2015 Templates

NOF 2015 on Windows 8.1. I am a home user and have used NOF from version 3 through nearly all versions up to NOF 2013. So I understand a bit about NOF. Had my share of issues with the various versions over the years but have generally managed to struggle through.
    Recently upgraded from NOF 2013 and installed NetObjects Fusion 2015. Cleaned up assets and links etc, re-optimized, created templates and migrated my four web sites from NOF 2013 to NOF 2015. Tested, locally published and remote published – all went well. Did some editing updating and enhancements and decided to create a new template from my updated site and the trouble began.

I exported the site to a Template and NOF 2015 confirmed creation of template. However when I tried to create a new site using the template I got the message “The archive does not contain any Fusion template files”. When I place the cursor over the template zip file I get a list of the files in the zip folder and realise that instead of NOF copying all the assets etc into the template it has copied all the existing templates into the template???? I hope this is clear.
    Thought it may be my site due to migration from NOF 2013 so used the NOF 2015 Wizard to create a brand new test site and added some photos etc. Tried to create a template and got the same error message and file problem.
    Then opened NOF 2013 and undertook the same process with the original website (NOF 2013 version) and had no issues creating and opening template. Even created a brand new test site, the same as in NOF 2015, using the Wizard. Created a template from this and again no issue with opening the template.
    My site is still functioning well and I can edit and publish etc with no problems. So, can someone please explain what is happening and how I can overcome this annoying and frustrating issue with creating a template in NOF 2015.

Can you go to the template zip file using windows explorer, right click, and select open with > Fusion 2015?

Does it open or do you get the same error?

Was the template saved in the default location (public documents > Fusion 2015 > templates)? If not, mpve it there and see if will open using Fusion or right click open with.,
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thanks for your responses gotFusion and Bluesman (Thomas). I opened the template zip file in windows explorer and confirmed that the template file for my site does not contain any Assets files, it just contains a copy of all the standard template files provided by NOF 15 copied into my new template?

Can also confirm that I did not change the path to the template folder. I used the standard folder as created by NOF 15. Tried with both original site name and a different name for the template and still could not save a useable template.

Out of desperation I uninstalled NOF 15, restarted computer and reinstalled program using “standard” install default by NOF 15. Created a new test site using Wizard. Added some text and photos, local published, previewed and saved the site – all without a glitch. Then tried to export entire site as a template using site name into default template folder (yes to save unused files). Normally the save is quick but NOF took a few minutes and during the process got message in header that NOF was not responding, but eventually got message “Template has been saved”.

Tried to create a new site using Template but the template I just created was not listed? Checked with windows explorer but could not find the template, which was saved into the NOF 2015 default template folder???? Repeated export as template a couple more times with same result.

Does the “export as template” process use Java? Computer is running Java version 8 update 60 (Build 1.8.0_60-b27). NOF Application Options has Java Runtime Environment version “Use external JRE (1.8)” which is grey and cannot be changed.

Any suggestions to overcome my problem with creating a template will be greatly appreciated.

what is your full path to the template folder?

it should be C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\Templates

can you confirm

Quote Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post

can you confirm
    Yes Anton, the path is almost identical except it's "Public Documents" and not just "Documents". Everything else is identical. This is the default template folder created by NOF 2015.
    Thanks, Don

Quote Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post

can you confirm
    Yes Anton, the path is almost identical except it's "Public Documents" and not just "Documents". Everything else is identical. This is the default template folder created by NOF 2015.
    Thanks, Don

do you have Nof15 excluded from your antivirus scanner? something is preventing the template creation process

I do not have NOF 15 excluded from my Norton Internet Security antivirus, but NOF 13 is also not excluded and it's working fine? And if the template is not being created why do I get the NOF 15 message "Template has been saved", but it does not exist?

I appreciate the helpful suggestions for curing this, but I am getting very frustrated as I can't trust the program and don't have confidence to further develop my sites as I may lose all changes if I can't create a template????

I personally have all software I use to make a living excluded from virus scanners and I have windows defender set as disabled

I have no issues whatsoever creating templates in Nof13 or 15 on the same PC

so, there is something on your PC that is interfering, there has to be, otherwise all Nof users would complain about the same