Thread: NOF essentials can't open old NOF 10 templates

Default NOF essentials can't open old NOF 10 templates

I've been a user of NOF since 7.1, went up to 10, then stopped updating my web pages for the last year or so. I now want to get back to them. I've upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in the mean time, and somehow the executable etc. for NOF 10 have not been backed up. That is to say the top directory is empty, but all the lower ones are OK, it seem - I know, very odd. After all my updates with NOF 10, I always saved in a template to be safe.

So now I don't have NOF 10, I thought I'd try NOF essentials. It installed fine, but when I tried to open any of the old template files as 'file -> new site -> from template', it just tells me that the template was created with an incompatible version of Fusion. So can anyone help in saving the situation? Thanks,
    Derek.

Just as a follow up to this, should essentials be able to open an old template - obviously it's limited, is this one of the limitations?

Hi Thomas, thanks for the reply. I managed to get NOF 10 working again. Essentials really doesn't do too much and I think you are right about it not doing the importing. I've given up with NOF and switched over to Serif WebPlus and I'm rebuilding the site. Thanks for your interest.

NoF 10 is now very old and windows has moved on a long way (at least, it's moved a long way; whether or not it's moved on is another question). If you plan on updating your web sites regularly, or indeed, creating new ones, you'd be better off upgrading to NoF 2015 (the full version, not essentials) as it has html 5/Css 3 output as well as many other modern web technologies. Essentials, being a free cut-down version is unlikely to open full version .nod files as these are databases and probably contain fields that essentials doesn't recognise.

Having said that, I know that money is in short supply for many of us (I'm a pensioner, for example) but right now NoF is on special for $49-ish and as such represents outstanding value for such a comprehensive web site management program.

You are, of course, right that if I was doing a lot of work on the web pages - but I'm not, so I really don't see the value of getting NOF 2015, when I have a very recent WebPlus. I just wish it would do something sensible with import, but never mind. So I've decided I'm going to leave NetObjects and say bye and thanks for the interest.