Thread: Windows 10 and NOF

Default Windows 10 and NOF

I've been a user of NOF 9 for many years under Windows XP and happy with it. Recently I've moved to Windows 10 and reinstalled NOF 9 onto it. The product (NOF 9) seems to work fine on Windows 10 with one exception. Once I've made my changes to my website I can preview it in NOF 9 and it all looks 100% OK. However, I use a third party FTF software FileZilla for uploading it to the web. This has always worked perfectly under Windows XP but there's a problem under Windows 10 where some of the .HTML files are uploaded incorrectly:

FileZilla support people say it's "The Windows 10 virtual store". They claim that NetObjects Fusion 9 is too old and tries to save its files in a system-protected location and thus gets its disk access redirected to the virtual store.

I don't understand this explanation - can anyone explain why NOF 9 has this problem on Windows 10?

Yes, it's too old. As of Vista microsloth in its wisdom prevented writing user data to certain operating system locations (as FileZilla support told you). XP is about 15 years old and things have changed too much for it to be reliable now. A workaround would be to install a virtual machine such as VMWare Fusion (about $60) and install XP into that. I use this solution for running several 8-bit programs that XP supported but Vista and later don't.

They're right. Fusion 9 keeps it's user sites folder in the program folder. An "illegal" location in Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.x and Windows 10.

You can tell Fusion 9 to use a custom location. You should create a Fusion 9 folder in your Documents folder and move your User Sites folder there. Keep in mind this will break file locations in Fusion and you'll need to "find" your file assets in their new location.

You should really consider upgrading to Fusion 2015. It's compatible with Windows 10 out of the box.
    Last edited by chuckj; 10-12-2015 at 01:23 PM.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

My experience with NOF9 and Windows10 has been a good one. And no problem with File Zilla. I was pleasantly surprised how smooth NOF9 installed and how smoothly it works in Win10, better than NOF11 or 12. And I haven't needed to change the NOF default locations. The only problem I've had is with IE11, but I had similar problems in 8.1 before I upgraded. And Microsoft Edge is a "video game". Conceptually, Microsoft's browsers have been and are... painfully misdirected. I use Firefox with NOF9/Win10 and it's fine. I don't use Chrome because it's too invasive. Of course, outside of NOF9, I have mucho problems with Win10, some Microsoft intentional, most resulting from over-bloated and buggy software. If it were available, I would move NOF to a MAC in a nano second. It's time that software developers should be held accountable. We need an "FDA" of software to hold their feet to the fire.
    Last edited by solane; 10-12-2015 at 08:29 AM.

You can run NoF under VMWare Fusion (and a windows OS installed) on a Mac with minimal effort. I run a few windows programs I can't live without on my 2009 iMac running El Capitan.