Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1/2 Responsive-----I Think That This Would Work And Be Easy For NOF Team?--------

I truly do not believe that someone with a perfectly responsive web site will get more (or more and more) sales.

I personally never buy something off the Net because someone's web site has astonishing colours or fancy programming tricks. I only look for quality of content.
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

You may have a point there.
    If I make a website in fusion, when viewing it on the internet, it does stretch itself to the shape of the mobile device that I am viewing it on, eg. if I look at it on my Samsung phone, it will stretch to fill the screen if I turn my phone sideways, and will shrink to fit when I turn the phone upright.
    I am mainly thinking that this responsive feature is necessary for mobile phones, maybe we already have it, to a degree.
    However if I resize my PC browser, nothing happens, the webpage stays the same size and all of the lines of text will stay static. The lines of text, when viewing on the mobile phone will re jiggle themselves to fit the space. Maybee the phones browser re-arranges the text to make it do this, also pictures appear to fit the width of the screen nice, on the mobile.
    This re-sizing does not seem to happen with google chrome when I drag the browser size bigger and smaller
    Maybee I have what I need already?

Be nice to hear what Franco has to say about this also

I would just like to point out that more and more people are using Phones to access the internet, to the extent that they no longer use or have a PC/Laptop! Anyone wanting a new website would be foolish to ignore this trend! Yes NOF can create Mobile Friendly sites if that’s what you want, however it is not straight forward, its ok for some of the more experienced NOF users to use scripts etc., but many of the less experienced, not to mention any newbies to the product don’t have that knowledge. As has been pointed out NOF does not have good tutorials, either YouTube or otherwise, to bring these people up to the level where they can use NOF to satisfy the demands of their potential clients. NOF has always been a very good product but it has not moved with the times. Support has relied on members of the forum to answer user’s needs, NOF admin has been very quiet especially on anything to do with mobile/responsive design

Yes Warrenr, I started a discussion on this forum about 12 months age, stating that there were very few tutorials on Youtube, but that NOF was very capable, but only for the experts. Unless you are born with the knowledge, like how pigeons know how to fly south in the winter, you will never be able to use NOF for anything other than building basic websites. I CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT THE nof TEAM DO NOT WANT TO SELL nof TO NEWBIES, THEY ONLY WANT LONG TIME ESTABLISHED knowledgable users to be able to use NOF.
    I think that they sell enough to keep them happy and are not really interested in growing their market share, like modern hippies.
    As far as building mobile friendly websites goes, Franco can do it, the code is available, but you have to have the knowledge, NOF are not going to make youtube tutorials on how to do it.
    They must be loosing 100s of users every year and any new user who buys NOF instead of something else must be a bit soft in the head, longtime users who are not that knowledgable and still use it (me), do so because we really don't want to switch to something un-familiar. If tomorrow I had to start building websites for a living, I would have to move to some other product.

On the contrary, NoF's market is essentially newbies. Experienced coders don't need it, except for fast prototyping of site structure at which it excels. The problem is, too many newbies to the web except a program to do everything for them without them having to do any study or acquire any experience. Life isn't like that. It's the same with photography. When I first started as a professional photographer back in the '70s, I worked with some of the best in the business, learning everything I could about the business. I learned to light using a variety of lighting technologies; I learned to operate the 10" x 8" view camera, then the main tool of the professional (advertising) photographer, as well as 4"x5", 6cm x 6cm and 35mm cameras. I studied everything I could to develop my skills. Today people seem to think all you need is an automatic camera and photoshop to be a pro.

I cannot be a brain surgeon without studying for a medical degree, then working as an intern, and then a registrar. I can't simply buy a set of scalpels and hang out my shingle (and if I could, I'd kill a lot of people).

If you want to build responsive web sites, learn how to do it. There is a plethora of tutorials on the web, all for free. Use NoF for what it's good at, laying out the site structure and building the initial designs. Then code the responsiveness in. How? By learning how to do it, the same way I learnt photography and a brain surgeon learns brain surgery. Don't rely on any tool for a crutch; you only need crutches if you're a cripple.

And John is 100% right about one thing - the web is still only a vehicle. It doesn't matter about the vehicle, what does matter is the content, as it has since the first days of the web in the early '90s (anyone ever used Lynx or Grail or coded a site in vi or emacs?)

Create good, needed content and people will make the effort to get that content. But if your content is bluh! then they won't make the effort, no matter the bells and whistles on your site.

Hello Franco. Your account about learning photography on the 70s, that was me also! but l learned on a 5×4 camera but used a Bronica for most of my work ,and what lengths l had to go to to find out and learn. I wish there was youtube then, or do l? There were 8 pro. photographers in my county then now there are 417, all advertising for weddings with their webbsites.
    My old dad used to say, the more difficult a job is the less people can get into it and your job is protected. Youtube has made it easy to learn anything these days, l cant understand, but its also not my concern, why NOF totaly neglect this medium

If it does not sell by word of mouth what makes you think it shall sell by searches or "responsive" design?
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Not all people with smartphones are in fact smart.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeconcannon View Post
    ........ I wish there was youtube then, or do l? There were 8 pro. photographers in my county then now there are 417, all advertising for weddings with their webbsites.
    My old dad used to say, the more difficult a job is the less people can get into it and your job is protected. Youtube has made it easy to learn anything these days, l cant understand, but its also not my concern, why NOF totaly neglect this medium
    The 417 pros are not the brightest ones.
    If they were, they all will also be photographing divorces and funerals, not only wedding ...

By the way, your dad was smart.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    And John is 100% right about one thing - the web is still only a vehicle. It doesn't matter about the vehicle, what does matter is the content, as it has since the first days of the web in the early '90s (anyone ever used Lynx or Grail or coded a site in vi or emacs?)

Create good, needed content and people will make the effort to get that content. But if your content is bluh! then they won't make the effort, no matter the bells and whistles on your site.
    Aaaahhhh Franko, I am flattered ...

There are geniuses out there who still code by hand in NotePad. One of them is Vince, http://www.offshore.com.ai/vince/

A few details about him can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Cate

How come Vince needs no responsive web site???