Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing Essentials 7.5 .nod file into Fusion 2015

Default Importing Essentials 7.5 .nod file into Fusion 2015

We have an enormous site that was created in Essentials 7.5 and updated therein until my computer died last month. www.santafetradingpost.com I've got the .nod file but no template. I was over on the Essentials 7.5 forum trying to get a copy of the original 7.5, but was informed by Adam at NetObjects Technical Support:

“Fusion Essentials 7.5 is unavailable and has been replaced with our newer version that you've found on our site. You are correct that the new Essentials will not allow import of older sites. Even if I provided you a download of Essentials 7.5, the registration server is no more and you would be unable to install it.

Fusion 2015 will be able to import your .nod file but I have a few questions before suggesting an upgrade purchase.

1. Do you have only the .nod file or do you have the site folder that contains the .nod and assets folder?
    2. If you only have the .nod file, that is only a database of site structure and text. Images and files are NOT part of the .nod. You can relink them via the program, but you'll need the files on your PC. You can download them using a third party FTP program such as filezilla.”

I answered him:

“I have the complete site folder that includes not only the .nod file but also has the folders for assets, backups, local publish (empty), preview (empty), recovery (empty) and styles. However, I have concerns about upgrading to Fusion 2015 based on past experience. We've been using NetObjects Fusion literally since version 1.0 and faithfully upgraded up to and including version 7. Our santafetradingpost.com site has been up and running -- and growing -- for 15 years and has over 2000 pages. The .nod file is 129,505 kb.

Several years ago we upgraded to NOF 11 and I created several new sites in it, but our SFTP site absolutely would not migrate from v. 7 to v. 11 no matter what I did and regardless of all the help I got from the NOF 11 forum members at the time. It was the NOF 11 folks who finally suggested I download Essentials 7.5, which I did and everything worked perfectly until my computer died last month. (As I recall, the consensus was that v. 11 didn't "work like" v. 7 and that's why I couldn't get the site into v. 11 via any methodology whatsoever.) So I'm very concerned that Fusion 2015 doesn't "work like" Essentials 7.5 and I'll have the same problem.”

That was five days ago and I’ve never heard back from Adam or anyone else, so I’m trying here in the Fusion 2015 forum instead. Can someone please assure me that Adam’s info was correct and Fusion 2015 will indeed be able to import my .nod file, in which case I'll be happy to upgrade to Fusion 2015 but I'll have a bunch of procedural questions.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

You can't "import" a nod file. You open it.

After you install 2015....

First, copy your site folder and contents into the User Sites folder for 2015.

Navigate to your site folder and click on the nod.

Fusion 2015 will report that the nod is from a previous version of Fusion and will ask if you want to open it or open a copy. Open a copy.

Save it in the same folder as the original nod. Give it the same name with a -15 appended so you know it's the copy you made.

Open that nod and when asked if you want to open a copy, say no this time.

The nod will be upgraded to 2015.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Thank you, Chuck. That's EXACTLY what I wanted to know -- you must have read my mind! (I really wondered about Adam's "import" wording.)

Hi again, Chuck. We bought and installed Fusion 2015 and I followed your instructions on how to open a copy of my .nod file and upgrade my site. I got a pop-up message about an unstable file and recovering the site, then a second pop-up message saying the recovery was successful. However, the ultimate result was a blank white screen with the site controls (Site, Page, Style, etc.) grayed out and no Page Properties panel. When I moved my cursor over the white screen, two words appeared over toward the right side that I know are the names of two of my pages, but no other words or anything else appeared and the site view itself never displayed. When I tried to click on one of the menu items, NOF crashed, but when I relaunched NOF, my site name appeared in the "Open a Recent Site" list, so I opened it again. Same blank screen, but this time I was able to click on File - Exit and got the normal compressing/backing up messages before NOF closed properly. A backup now appears in the Autosaves folder that is the same kb size as my .nod file.

Help!! What's going on, why won't my site display, and what I can do about it???

BTW, my other Essentials 7.5 sites and my NOF 11 sites all opened & display perfectly. Your instructions worked like a charm and I thank you so much.

Your nod from Essentials was already damaged, evidently.

Look in your Backups folder and you may have a good, if older version of your nod file there.

Take your "live" nod in the site folder and rename it by appending .old to the file name.

Then take the backup you want to try (you may need to go a couple of backups back, depending on how many times you've opened and closed the nod.... look at the dates) and copy it to the site folder where you just renamed the nod that appears to be bad.

Rename the backup to match the name of the bad nod before you appended .old to the file name.

Cross your fingers and open your site.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Thanks. Will do, but not tonight. I'm pretty well wiped out right now after a day of excessive nerves. As Scarlett would say, "Tomorrow is another day."

Quote Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post
    We have an enormous site that was created in Essentials 7.5 and updated therein until my computer died last month ...............

Our santafetradingpost.com site has been up and running -- and growing -- for 15 years and has over 2000 pages. The .nod file is 129,505 kb.
    Hi there,

It is a crazy thing to build a 2,000-page web site in one piece.

How about a single front page with many links to sub-web sites and then creating the many sub-web sites (in your case based on your alphabetical order), all of them with the same style.

This way, if you damage the .nod file of the sub-web site or some other accident happens to it, only the .nod file of the sub-web site is affected not the whole, monster 129,505KB .nod file.
    Last edited by Since_v4; 01-24-2016 at 12:35 AM.
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Quote Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post
    Hi again, Chuck. We bought and installed Fusion 2015 ............
    BTW, my other Essentials 7.5 sites and my NOF 11 sites all opened & display perfectly. Your instructions worked like a charm and I thank you so much.
    Hi there again,

You can return NOF v2015 right away and wait for the new release.
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Chuck: OK, I did it, but still no joy. No pop-up message this time about unstable file/recovery, but the end result is still the same; e.g. a blank white screen w/ grayed-out site controls & no Page Properties panel. Nof SAYS the site is open (and Task Manager says it's running) but I can't see the *&(#^ thing. When I File > Exit the invisible site compresses/backs up like normal and the backup appears in the Autosaves folder (which I gather is the new folder name for where 2015 puts the backups). I swear we have a "display" problem here, not a .nod problem, but I don't know what to do about it. Do you?

Another question. Is there no way any more to import a site from the web???? I found info that starting w/ NOF 12 you can't create a new site via importing an existing site, but the NOF knowledgebase, documentation, et al has instructions on importing a site on the web into a site created in NOF. Only trouble is that when I follow the instructions to select the page that I want to be the parent of the site I want to import and choose Import > Web from the File menu, the only Import option is Document. So is the web import feature gone forever from NOF??????

I'm really at my wits' end at this point.

Hi Since_v4. I totally agree with you that a 2,000-page site is crazy (at best), but I've never found out how to create linked sub-sites in NOF. Are there instructions out there somewhere? If so, can you please tell me where???