Thread: Text Tool has only Arial face?

Default Text Tool has only Arial face?

My 1st post is still not approved after 4 days. I'm still struggling to understand NOF.

There is a text tool which creates text boxes. It only has Arial. Arial Black, and Arial/Helvetica/Geneva/Sans-serif choices. I see in various themes that other faces are used. How can I get access to more choices?

To answer that question we'd need to know what you have done to lose access to all the other fonts. Screen grabs to show us what you are seeing would help.

Thanks again Franko...

Here is a screen grab:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4Franko.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	2405

There are now multiple instances of the 3 available faces. Originally, there was just one of each!

In line formatting is always a bad choice. Web designing is not desktop publishing. Write your styles into your CSS What choices do you have if you go to Style -> Manage Styles in Style View. This is where you set your site wide Styles. You should set these before you start doing anything in a site. In the Manage Styles box select Normal (P) and click Edit. There you can set the style for your normal (or paragraph) text. And so on for all your headings, etc.

Try that and come back with what font choices you have in the dialog box.

you are selecting the fonts in the wrong place, use text properties panel if you need to format individual words or lines or paragraphs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anton-00065.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	2406  

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    In line formatting is always a bad choice. Web designing is not desktop publishing. Write your styles into your CSS What choices do you have if you go to Style -> Manage Styles in Style View. This is where you set your site wide Styles. You should set these before you start doing anything in a site. In the Manage Styles box select Normal (P) and click Edit. There you can set the style for your normal (or paragraph) text. And so on for all your headings, etc.

Try that and come back with what font choices you have in the dialog box.
    I didn't know I was doing "in-line editing"! Web designing SHOULD be as straightforward as desktop publishing...IMO.

LOL. Notice this screengrab:

Name:	Styles.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	2409

It took me a while to notice the "Style" in the menu bar. :-(

There are a few more fonts when I look at the Normal (P) group. The "Edit" window would not resize so I can't show them and am too lazy to manually type them into this reply.

It's not clear [w/o reading the documentation] if changing a font/style/size/color/decoration/etc in that Text Format box affects every text instance in my web pages?

I'll play w/ it and see what happens...

Web designing SHOULD be as straightforward as desktop publishing...IMO.
    And you're completely wrong. If you'd been around in the early nineties, that's exactly the way we had to do it. Format text within the page. The some of the world's brightest minds invented Cascading Style Sheets which allowed us to split design away from content, and apply design rules to the same elements no matter where or how many times it appears in the site. Most people (99.9999999999 recurring) people think that's a good idea.

No offence, but you may want to find a good basic "how the web works" tutorial before starting to design your site; there are plenty of free ones available on the web.
    Last edited by franko; 04-21-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuxter View Post
    I didn't know I was doing "in-line editing"! Web designing SHOULD be as straightforward as desktop publishing...IMO.

LOL. Notice this screengrab:

Name:	Styles.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	2409

It took me a while to notice the "Style" in the menu bar. :-(

There are a few more fonts when I look at the Normal (P) group. The "Edit" window would not resize so I can't show them and am too lazy to manually type them into this reply.

It's not clear [w/o reading the documentation] if changing a font/style/size/color/decoration/etc in that Text Format box affects every text instance in my web pages?

I'll play w/ it and see what happens...
    did you look at my screenshot at all?

Quote Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
    did you look at my screenshot at all?
    Yes, but this forum software doesn't make it too clear who I respond to? I was responding to Franko.

My NoF screen looks nothing like yours! Thus I couldn't try what you suggested. You have a "Text Properties" panel. If I had one, I might be able to use it. ;-)

SO, I tried "Help" and this was what I got:

Setting Text Navigation Bar Properties
    1. In Page view, select a text navigation bar.
    2. Click the Style tab.

I never got to step #2, because I don't know how to select a "text navigation bar". Help didn't have that answer.

Thanks for your help...

press F3 to show/hide the text properties panel

if you click view menu, you can also tick all panels that you should have open, then you can dock them like I have in following
    http://www.videoproductions.com.au/N...rty-panels.png
    Last edited by antonsvideo; 04-24-2016 at 01:41 AM.