Thread: Upgrade or not ?

Default Upgrade or not ?

So they finally send me an option to upgrade to 2015 that I like... But do I really need to?

My site was built back in version 4 ? and has been imported over the years and now I use version 12 in Windows 10. I often get a "not responding" for 10 to 15 seconds when moving from page to page but just about never crashes.

My site is basically set the way it is... I just continually add to it. I don't believe I need any new features, bells and whistles.

So why should I get the newer version ??

I am open to a good argument why I should or should not.

www.jlfurniture.com

For one thing, 2015 outputs pretty valid html 5. For me that's reason enough. The web has moved on a long way since Fusion 12 which could only output html 4 and xhtml. There are a number of other things but for me html 5/css 3 is the biggie.

So If I imported my site into 2015 the changes would be automatic... and explain briefly why these changes make a difference... Thanks Joel This low price means a newer version is about to be out ??

Some changes would be automatic, some you would have to redo. For example, tables today are only for tabular data, not, as in the past, to support the design layout. It would be better to remove any tables you have used on your pages to keep objects in their place and replace them with Layout Regions. But the changes can be minimal, or they could be more, depending on how pedantic you are about your generated code.

As to you second question - who knows? Netobjects doesn't provide any advance warning of impending releases so the first any of us will know about it is when it appears on their web site.

I don't think I have tables... can you tell by viewing the site ?

www.jlfurniture.com

??? I don't think I have tables... can you tell by viewing the site ?

www.jlfurniture.com

You're using Fixed output html 4.01. The whole site uses nested tables.

If you don't want to upgrade, try this (after making a copy of your site for safety). 1. Select each table and Convert Table to Layout Region. 2. After converting all your tables to layout regions, convert your site to xhtml. Beware - if you have ANY overlapping objects when you select xhtml, it will screw your site layout up. Make sure you don't have any first (you can tell by looking for the little red exclamation mark in the top left corner of the overlapping objects.

Once converted to xhtml - and having thoroughly checked your Local Publish for errors and corrected them - export your site to a template. Then when you upgrade to 2015 NoF will better be able to convert your site to html 5 divs.

As well as tables you have some lovely desks. And other furniture. Great pieces. Wish I could get something like them in Oz but for handmade anything these days you have to charge so much to compensate you for the time you put in, as well as the raw materials and the marketplace here is just so small there aren't many people who can afford such pieces, and so such pieces don't get made.

. Select each table and Convert Table to Layout Region... Would this need to be done on every page ?? Large site... I also may have a little overlapping. This could be a headache ?

Thanks for you comment regarding my work. I actually made a bedroom set for a well to do man in Katoomba. It is a shame that basically wealthy people are those who can afford what I do... Doesn't make me a wealthy man but someone who can take pride it what I do and work for myself.

Select each table and Convert Table to Layout Region... Would this need to be done on every page ?? Large site... I also may have a little overlapping. This could be a headache ?
    It could be a headache and frankly, it may be worth your while starting again to ensure the code you generate isn't carrying the consequences of previous iterations. You don't have to do the whole site at once; by using external links you can build the site in sections, each section having its own .nod file and linking to the other parts of the site with absolute rather than relative urls. This would also have the advantage of making any future alterations easier to manage. Very big .nod files can become unstable also. This would have the advantage of your home page and immediate child pages being in valid html 5 even though pages deeper in the site may still be in html 4.

The man in Katoomba must have be very well off indeed. I'm a pensioner and even if I could afford one of your pieces, I certainly couldn't afford the freight as well :-)