Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why can't I paste code in the HTML.

Yes that was what I was doing, but I did not remember anyone saying you could also double click the icon.
    Because there is un-wanted & un-used code on the form HTML, and no-one has been able to tell me how to edit the code (delete) in Notepad++ I have now deleted the whole form and will start from the beginning again.
    Now I have all the information (I Hope) I'm hoping I can run through it all once and get it right.

It would still be very helpful if anyone reads this post who can tell me how to import the code from anything in NOF into Notepad ++ so I can edit it & also how I then put the edited code back in NOF, I mean I don't know where to even navigate to, to find it.
    Last edited by Metal Man; 06-16-2016 at 09:03 PM.
    If you help me I'm Greatful.
    If I help you I'm Pleased

Simply put - you can't. You can edit the code after you do a Local Publish, but there's no way of getting that edited code back into NoF. As I think I (or someone else) mentioned before, NoF is a code generator, not a code editor. There is no way of inputting published html back into NoF other than through the html insertion methods that have been outlined here.

You can, of course, use NoF for rapid prototyping to the point of generating the code for a site. There's not other program around that will allow you to do that as rapidly as in NoF. However, from that point on, you have to edit the code in code editor. I mentioned a few above but there are many more on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Man View Post
    Yes that was what I was doing, but I did not remember anyone saying you could also double click the icon.
    Because there is un-wanted & un-used code on the form HTML, and no-one has been able to tell me how to edit the code (delete) in Notepad++ I have now deleted the whole form and will start from the beginning again.
    Now I have all the information (I Hope) I'm hoping I can run through it all once and get it right.

It would still be very helpful if anyone reads this post who can tell me how to import the code from anything in NOF into Notepad ++ so I can edit it & also how I then put the edited code back in NOF, I mean I don't know where to even navigate to, to find it.
    Fusion is a code generator. It writes the code. You cannot.

You can have Fusion "generate" the code then edit it with anything (notepad, dreamweaver, whatever) BUT (BIG but) once you edit the generated code you can no longer use Fusion as it will overwrite everything you "edited" when it generates code again.

Fusion is a database program that outputs html code. Anything outside of the database does not exist in Fusion's "world"
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

So really the only thing to do is, as I have, delete the form and start again.
    When you said you could edit the code with an external editor, I didn't realise you could no longer use it in NOF.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this post, until next time.

No one said you couldn't use it.

You can insert any code you want using the code insertion points as pointed out by using Ctrl+T.

This is commonly done using a text box. Or the Page HTML button in Layout or Master Border Properties.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

So say for arguments sake, I take the code for my contact page (mind you I don't know where to find it) and edit it in Notepad++, then go back to the contact page and press Ctrl & T, I can put the code back in Contact page HTML.
    But it will still have the original code that I cannot delete, which means there will now be two versions of the same code, the original & the edited one, so for all intents and purposes you can't change the code.

Just to let you know, with the help I had in setting up this form, I have now deleted the form and built a new one in a matter of minutes (With better labelling and no unwanted HTML etc.)
    Last edited by Metal Man; 06-17-2016 at 01:17 PM. Reason: additional information

No... you cannot take the entire page and insert it back into the page. Frankly, that's a silly question.

But if you want to take the form code from your page after doing a local publish, and then delete the form in Page View and then use a text box and Ctrl+T to insert the modified form code, that would work just fine.

That being said... forms in Fusion are a lot more customizable than you realize. There are plenty of points for inserting code.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Man View Post
    So really the only thing to do is, as I have, delete the form and start again.
    When you said you could edit the code with an external editor, I didn't realise you could no longer use it in NOF.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this post, until next time.
    If you need code access I would suggest that you use a dynamic include and write your code with notepad, then all you need is a single simple include statement to pull in your notepad created code. Any changes made to the external file would be external to Fusion's database. All Fusion would see would be the include statement that would not change

<?php include './fileName.php';?>

If you use PHP as your dynamic language you will need to change the file extension on the page using the php code to ?????.php from ?????.html)
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I don't see why it is a silly question, I know nothing of programing and I was trying to understand a point.
    Last edited by gotFusion; 06-17-2016 at 06:23 PM. Reason: remove inappropriate comments

I have long used forms generated with an external tool and then copied and pasted the code into a blank NoF page using the Ctrl-T method. Works just fine. This overcomes many of the limitations the inbuilt NoF tool has.