Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pics jump beside text / Different result in diff. browsers / What to do ??

Question Pics jump beside text / Different result in diff. browsers / What to do ??

Dear friends. I have a problem with pictures jumping beside a text, where they should keep the position.
    When I go from Page-setting to Preview thepics just move to another position...
    And apparently it is worse, when you look at the site on a smartphone ...
    Some examples from different browsers:

http://consciousnesstheater.com/html/ct_teachers.html

How do I setup the page so the pics stay where they should ??

Kind regards,
    Finn

It looks like you are using fixed output (html 4.01). Is this an old site you've opened in 2015? If so, first thing is to move the site via the template method. Try changing your html output to html 5 dynamic and change your character set to UTF-8. This will then publish your site in html 5 and get rid of all those embedded tables that are used when you output html 4.01. Smartphone browsers generally expect html 5.

The urls above are all web pages and therefore will display the same no matter which one we click on, unless we view them with a range of browsers. Try posting screen grabs showing the differences you are getting with different browsers.

Hi, Franko. Thank you for your answer. Our 2015 NOF setup had been with html 4.01. We tried to follow your instructions. Exported the site and imported it again, changed the settings. But the pics still do not stand as they should. Design & Preview does not match - and suddenly the text beside the photos had center position. Well, I could fix that by changing the position of the text, first to the right and then back again - so now it is positioned to the left as it should be. What have we missed to do?? (we= my wife, Anne, and me) AND thank you beforehand for your assistance

How is it when you Local Publish? Preview is always a bit flaky. I always Local Publish to check a site and then upload the LP to the web server via ftp.

In local publish it looks pretty good. But when I send it (I use FileZilla) the pics still move. Perhaps I should use a template of some kind ? We put the pics in on free-hand... Thank you for your reply...

Quote Originally Posted by Finn Aram View Post
    In local publish it looks pretty good. But when I send it (I use FileZilla) the pics still move. Perhaps I should use a template of some kind ? We put the pics in on free-hand... Thank you for your reply...
    which browser are you using in local publish? and which browser for online viewing?

are you uploading all files needed including css files?

provide a url to the most recently uploaded page that shows the picture problem

Hi, Anton,
    I`ve set Firefox to local publish now. Before it was Internet Explorer. It runs more smoothly now with Firefox. I just realize right now that everything is looking OK on all browsers on my PC. Edge, Firefox, Opera and Chrome all shows a correct picture. BUT on my Samsung Galaxy phone in Chrome f.ex. the bottom 7 photos of people have moved up the line. Is it then the setup of the phone that causes trouble??
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-06-28.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	2496Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-06-28 (1).jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	2497

http://www.consciousnesstheater.com/..._teachers.html

Kind regards,
    Finn

Mobile phone browsers are not as fully featured as PC browsers, and 2015 cannot output responsively, i.e. it doesn't automatically create breakpoints nor write a viewport detection script. Also many mobile browsers are not good at reading backward technologies, such as tables. If you want to display well on a mobile device you need to keep the site simple, preferably only one column and manually edit in your media queries and breakpoints.

I would switch your site setting to the following settings and it will work on your phone:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anton-00153.png 
Views:	407 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	2498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anton-00152.png 
Views:	397 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	2499  

I was assuming he'd already changed to utf-8 and html 5 per my first advice. Hadn't thought of the spaces=1 in the html formatting though. I haven't had a problem with any of my sites displaying on my iPhone (I use spaces = 4), though, although it's a pain having to enlarge portions of them to see them.