Thread: How to create an initial screen that only shows up once with each visit

Default How to create an initial screen that only shows up once with each visit

All,

I have gotten minimally good at using Version 15 but I have hit a roadblock. I am only a beginner so I would truly appreciate it if you provide a detailed answer.

I want to create an initial intro-screen that shows a page that goes away after about 5 seconds and only shows each time the URL is visited. When the intro page goes away, the "home" screen would appear.

Here is an example web site that does what I want to do: www.Princeton-ma.us

Is this possible with Version 15 without a lot of fancy coding? I don't need it to fade away like the above URL, I wouldn't mind if there was a "Click Here to Proceed" button that took the visitor to the home page.

Honestly I have not gone deeply into the documentation because I don't even know what to call a function like this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    - Bill

You would use a Refresh meta tag.

Make the "splash" home page.

Go to its page properties in Site View.

Go to the Meta Tags tab.

In the dropdown, find Refresh.

Enter: content="5;URL=http://page you want to send the visitor to"

The '5' is for 5 seconds. Adjust as you wish.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Chuck, thank you very much. Suppose I wanted to have a "click here to proceed" button that would bring me forward to the home page but the home page could not go backward to the intro page?

- Bill

Is the Meta Tag likely to work in "preview" mode? If it is, I am still doing something wrong.

Thanks,
    - Bill

never use preview, it is a waste of time

always use local publish to correctly test a site

I tried local publish also but that didn't work. I am guessing that the

content="5;URL=http://page you want to send the visitor to"

Is different for the URL when published locally rather than truly published to the web. Either that or I am not following the syntax correctly but I've checked that very carefully.

- Bill

yes, because the redirect is using a real URL starting with http:// you need to upload the site to test the redirect