Thread: UPLoading via a FTP program

Default UPLoading via a FTP program

I have a general question When we upload files (the finished website) we do that via Fusion. I was wondering if anybody has ever used an FTP program, like FTP Explorer or Filezilla or maybe the back end control panel of the hosting site or anything else to up load a website done in fusion. If so what are the necessay steps to accomplish this? Where in the fusion folders do we find all that information index page, other pages, images the whole nine yards to be able to send it up in the proper places via the FTP program?
    Larry
    Last edited by Larry5000; 07-22-2016 at 09:28 PM.

I've done it no other way since 1996 when the first version of Fusion came out. There are many advantages to doing it this way - you can fully test your local publish before uploading it (apart from components that need to be on a web server to call the appropriate script) and you have complete control over what to upload (if you have a third party gallery, for example, you don't need to upload it every times you publish; only when you've changed it). And finally, dedicated ftp programs are much more sophisticated in detecting required server settings. I've never had a problem uploading with filezilla and I've used it to upload to multiple servers and configurations depending on where my clients have their sites hosted.

The Local Publish folder contains all the files you've published, that is, the whole site. You can choose to upload only those files you've changed (you can tell by the modification date) or clear out the Local Publish folder completely before publishing again (safer but longer). Fusion writes relative paths so you don't have to worry about changing any paths. Just upload the contents of your Local Publish folders to your web server. Easy.
    Last edited by franko; 07-22-2016 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    I've done it no other way since 1996 when the first version of Fusion came out. There are many advantages to doing it this way - you can fully test your local publish before uploading it (apart from components that need to be on a web server to call the appropriate script) and you have complete control over what to upload (if you have a third party gallery, for example, you don't need to upload it every times you publish; only when you've changed it). And finally, dedicated ftp programs are much more sophisticated in detecting required server settings. I've never had a problem uploading with filezilla and I've used it to upload to multiple servers and configurations depending on where my clients have their sites hosted.

The Local Publish folder contains all the files you've published, that is, the whole site. You can choose to upload only those files you've changed (you can tell by the modification date) or clear out the Local Publish folder completely before publishing again (safer but longer). Fusion writes relative paths so you don't have to worry about changing any paths. Just upload the contents of your Local Publish folders to your web server. Easy.
    Thank you, my problem is I am dealing with a hosting company other then what I am use too. for this client, I have her user name and password and I can certainly get into her control panel with no problem what so ever. I put in all the required info into fusion and ran the test connect which comes back good. But when I go to up load everything from fuion it moves really quick and when you go look at the site it is not there. Even looking behind the scenes in the control panel does not show the fusion files at all. I tried to put in under directly public_html as many places required that you do that so files do not go into root directries I suppose. But when I do that it ask if I want to make that folder.

They are a company that you have to write too and they will get back with you within 24 hours on business days. No phone number to call to see if they can tell me quickly what I am doing wrong or what I should be putting in the line "Directory in the fusion infomation.

They had an old website whcih looked sort of bad in the layout of it all. I thought something might be interfering so I deleted all the files in the back door so now nothing comes up on the page at all except for:

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404

www.spencer-floral.com

She did not care for that site at all so in one sense no love lost by deleating the old content, but now trying to figure out where exactly to send up the new stuff from fusion.

You may just have to wait for the hosting company to respond if they don't have online support. And then try to persuade the client to move to a reasonable host.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    You may just have to wait for the hosting company to respond if they don't have online support. And then try to persuade the client to move to a reasonable host.
    It has been sorted out now, thank you.