Thread: migrated from NetObjects 7 to 15, uploading to 1and1 with winscp - links don't work

Default migrated from NetObjects 7 to 15, uploading to 1and1 with winscp - links don't work

I have migrated my website from NetObjects 7 to 2015 using templates. Local publish works perfectly. I have uploaded the website using Winscp to my host server, 1and1. The html text files are all there online, but the jpegs and gifs are not present, although Winscp tells me that all the images are present on the remote server. Maybe none of the links are working from the pages to the images. Difficult to know where in this long process the problem lies. I have NOT changed any of the jpeg names. The navigation links at the foot of the page don't work either, but as I know the names of the pages I can go direct to them using their URL, so I know they are up online. Maybe I have to totally re-write my website using NoF2015 and that will sort out the link problem -unless someone can kindly give me another solution!
    Thanks in anticipation......

If your Local Publish site works ok then the problem lies on your server. I suspect it is with file permissions. I have no experience with 1 and 1 and how they set up their servers but as long as you are uploading your complete Local Publish files (and deleting Local Publish directory completely in between publishes) your site is fine. NO uses relative paths and doesn't change them between your local and remote servers. Contact 1 and 1 support.

Frankly, if your site isn't too large I'd be seriously considering rebuilding your site in 2015. So much has changed since v7 came out around 2002, not least of which is the move from html 4.01 with its embedded tables for layout to html 5 using divs. Also the use of UTF-8 character set, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    If your Local Publish site works ok then the problem lies on your server. I suspect it is with file permissions. I have no experience with 1 and 1 and how they set up their servers but as long as you are uploading your complete Local Publish files (and deleting Local Publish directory completely in between publishes) your site is fine. NO uses relative paths and doesn't change them between your local and remote servers. Contact 1 and 1 support.

Frankly, if your site isn't too large I'd be seriously considering rebuilding your site in 2015. So much has changed since v7 came out around 2002, not least of which is the move from html 4.01 with its embedded tables for layout to html 5 using divs. Also the use of UTF-8 character set, etc.
    Hi Franko
    Thanks for your kind reply. In fact the prob was that I was publishing the Preview Files and not the Local Publish files. Thanks for your hint regarding deletion of Local Publishing Directory between publishes. Not got my head around this one yet.
    My current problem is that I can't get NoF to publish files on Local Publish, but they do seem to be updated in Preview. Maybe your hint above will cure this.

Thanks and regards verso537