Thread: Clarification of the use of the meta tag "robots"

Question Clarification of the use of the meta tag "robots"

The online manual for my installation of NOF 2016 contains a single entry regarding the meta tage "robots", which is as follows:

"Robots. Declare to search engines what content to index and spider."

Regrettably, since the robots meta tag actually consist of two separate parts, I'm uncertain if the manual is implying that what I'm actually modifying, as per the preceding instructions, is the "robots.txt" content or the "robots" meta tag, since there's no further details beyond the single entry, within the manual. Can anyone provide better clarity on this topic, so that I might proceed forward with customizing the SEO of the individual pages to the website that I manage? In other words, am I adding content to the robots.txt file or configuring search engine access permission of the robots tag?

NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertW View Post
    The online manual for my installation of NOF 2016 contains a single entry regarding the meta tage "robots", which is as follows:
    Oohhh, my, NOF 2016?

Is it out?
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Typo on my part. My version of NOF is 2015. Ironic, since I'm still dating checks as 2015 and here it is September.
    Last edited by AlbertW; 09-20-2016 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks. Your implied response is that the NOF interface allows me to set the robots meta tag for each page, separately (should I choose), then I construct the global robots.txt files outside of the NOF environment, before importing into the website as an auxillary asset.

Constructing the robots.txt is straight forward enough, but I'm a bit confused as to the relevance of the robots meta tag access from within the NOF environment, unless it is also modifying said file. If so, then will NOF overwrite my version of the robots.txt file at any point, favor of its own default file? I can blackbox test this feature, but would be interested in knowing, in advance, what the expected outcome should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Since_v4 View Post
    Oohhh, my, NOF 2016?

Is it out?
    yess. of course.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertW View Post

Constructing the robots.txt is straight forward enough, but I'm a bit confused as to the relevance of the robots meta tag access from within the NOF environment, unless it is also modifying said file. If so, then will NOF overwrite my version of the robots.txt file at any point, favor of its own default file? I can blackbox test this feature, but would be interested in knowing, in advance, what the expected outcome should be.
    robots.txt is an external file that you list as an external "asset" for Fusion to upload for you

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=359

Fusion will not touch the file.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz