Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inserting a pdf file

Default Inserting a pdf file

I'm creating a new site in NOF 2015 and on one of the pages I inserted a pdf file (in my site's Assets folder) with the Plugin tool, choosing to launch from picture (the pdf icon, also in my Assets folder). The pdf file contains hypertext links to various external web pages. When I do a Local Publish and click on the pdf icon, the file displays perfectly BUT the links in it do not work. Is this because it's only a Local Publish? Will they work when I actually upload the files to the server? Or do I need to do something -- what?? -- to make them work?

The links work fine in the same pdf file on my desktop. Since my site is under construction, I haven't yet uploaded it to the server and I don't want to until it's ready for prime time.

Thanks in advance.

Kitty,

Make sure you back up this time ...
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Kitty, the links should work in Local Publish if you're connected to the internet. Otherwise they won't, of course. It's not usually necessary to embed a pdf file as virtually all modern browsers (post-2000-ish) display a pdf file within the browser. This can then be printed, saved, etc from within the browser.

Franko, I don't understand what you're telling me about being "connected to the Internet." When I do the Local Publish, the site appears in my browser window and so does the pdf when I click on the pdf icon on the site page where it appears. But when I hover over the links in the pdf, they aren't active (no little hand appears) so I can't click on any of them to get to the external sites. I can indeed print the pdf in my browser window (print to pdf, not print to my printer), and at that point the pdf comes up in Adobe and then the links are active and work just fine.

BTW, on other site pages I have links to external sites and those links work just fine in Local Publish. It's just the links in the pdf that don't work.

Kitty - be aware also that browsers display PDF's imbedded on a NOF page differently, notably IE......it depends on what settings the user has on their system.
    I went down that route and in the end decided it was just easier to continue to display a downloaded pdf in a new tab.

gprit - my pdf file isn't "embedded" in the NOF page like w/ inline or anything. It's "launched" by clicking on the pdf icon on the page. Then it comes up in its own browser window, although not in a new tab. But thanks for the tip on browser settings. I just checked and the pdf links work just fine in IE, but not in Thunderbird, which is my browser of choice.

Thunderbird is an email client. Not a web browser.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

I know. I typed the wrong word. I meant to write Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post
    Franko, I don't understand what you're telling me about being "connected to the Internet." When I do the Local Publish, the site appears in my browser window and so does the pdf when I click on the pdf icon on the site page where it appears. But when I hover over the links in the pdf, they aren't active (no little hand appears) so I can't click on any of them to get to the external sites. I can indeed print the pdf in my browser window (print to pdf, not print to my printer), and at that point the pdf comes up in Adobe and then the links are active and work just fine.

BTW, on other site pages I have links to external sites and those links work just fine in Local Publish. It's just the links in the pdf that don't work.
    Hi there,

You may want to try a different .pdf software and viewer.
    http://www.tracker-software.com/

It has everything including a free version.

I personally use it.
    I do not get compensated in any way, shape or form to recommend it.
    The software makers are fine Canadians.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Quote Originally Posted by gprit View Post
    Kitty - be aware also that browsers display PDF's imbedded on a NOF page differently, notably IE......it depends on what settings the user has on their system.
    I went down that route and in the end decided it was just easier to continue to display a downloaded pdf in a new tab.
    Hi there,

I always, and I mean always, link a .pdf from a 'file link' that opens in a separate window and then I select 'Existing' in the Target field thinking that visitors can close the window after reading the .pdf document and then continue from were they left off.

By the way, my links work without a flaw.